Someone tell me one reason to not get a SWG

We had a SWCG for about 3 years - when it worked, it was nice not to have to worry about adding chlorine on a daily basis. After several returns under warranty, the third one developed severe cracks, the warranty gave out, so we pitched it and went back to conventional chlorine. One of the reasons we went with SWCG in the first place was for the feel of slightly salty water (soft water). Everyone who used the pool noticed how nice the water was on their skin. However, as someone on this forum pointed out, you can still get the feel of soft water by simply adding salt to about 2000 ppm, even if you are chlorinating with liquid or tri-chlor pucks. You don't need a SWCG to have soft water.

With the SWCG, we found we had to clean out the lime deposits with muriatic acid almost every other week, and it raised the pH such that we also had to add a pretty good dose of muriatic acid to the pool weekly. So, for us, the biggest negative (besides the cost) was the regular handling of muriatic acid - much more dangerous than handling chlorine bleach. But, you could add an automatic acid doser and reduce the handling.

We use tri-chlor pucks until CYA gets up to 40, then switch to liquid chlorine. A Liquidator would be a good way to reduce the liquid chlorine handling (one still has to load, or pour, the liquid chlorine into the Liquidator and you are still left with many empty jugs to deal with). We may get a Liquidator for the convenience, when the budget allows.

O

dmanb2b said:
Yes it can and is true with all SWGs...water passes through the cell regardless of whether it is generating chlorine or not. You should not be plugging your pump into any swg unit...it may be fine as an accessory outlet, but the pump should be on it's own dedicated GFCI circuit.

The SWG will be plugged into the 20 amp GFCI that I have the pump plugged into now. Then the pump itself plugs into the SWG according to all the reading I have done on the Aqua Trol. You can choose standard plug in model or twist lock plug in model. That's why I am wondering if the timer has to be on for the pump to run or can u manually bypass the SWG timer.

http://www.poolproducts.com/SPP/product ... ly_id=1792

The Aqua Trol is specifically designed to have the pool pump plug into it, and that features works great. There is also a switch that allows you to manually over-ride the timer, forcing the pump on, or off, or allowing the timer to control the pump.

Ok great.. Think I will pull the trigger this weekend. Going to contact and electrician and see about bonding the pool as I am just grounded now with the pump and heater. Also my k2006 test kit is supposed to be here tomorrow. I am really wanting an accurate CYA reading and a FC reading with the new kit.

awe couldn't wait just pulled the trigger on the AT.. They have a 30 day return policy if for some reason I change my mind.. Got to have an electrician come out and tell me what bonding will cost and also have a bunch of chemicals and z packs from my nature 2 I will not be needing. Maybe pick up the salt this weekend and take it too 2000ppm until I can get it bonded and installed then I will take it to where it needs to be...

DWSPool said:
We had a SWCG for about 3 years - when it worked, it was nice not to have to worry about adding chlorine on a daily basis. After several returns under warranty, the third one developed severe cracks, the warranty gave out, so we pitched it and went back to conventional chlorine. One of the reasons we went with SWCG in the first place was for the feel of slightly salty water (soft water). Everyone who used the pool noticed how nice the water was on their skin. However, as someone on this forum pointed out, you can still get the feel of soft water by simply adding salt to about 2000 ppm, even if you are chlorinating with liquid or tri-chlor pucks. You don't need a SWCG to have soft water.

With the SWCG, we found we had to clean out the lime deposits with muriatic acid almost every other week, and it raised the pH such that we also had to add a pretty good dose of muriatic acid to the pool weekly. So, for us, the biggest negative (besides the cost) was the regular handling of muriatic acid - much more dangerous than handling chlorine bleach. But, you could add an automatic acid doser and reduce the handling.

We use tri-chlor pucks until CYA gets up to 40, then switch to liquid chlorine. A Liquidator would be a good way to reduce the liquid chlorine handling (one still has to load, or pour, the liquid chlorine into the Liquidator and you are still left with many empty jugs to deal with). We may get a Liquidator for the convenience, when the budget allows.

O
What brand/model were you having all the trouble with? I am thinking about a Goldline/Aquarite/Hayward T15.

gqjeff said:
awe couldn't wait just pulled the trigger on the AT.. They have a 30 day return policy if for some reason I change my mind.. Got to have an electrician come out and tell me what bonding will cost and also have a bunch of chemicals and z packs from my nature 2 I will not be needing. Maybe pick up the salt this weekend and take it too 2000ppm until I can get it bonded and installed then I will take it to where it needs to be...
Congrats! :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jparr: our SWCG was a combined ozonator/SWCG - the ozonator worked well, but the SWCG chamber developed cracks and leaked like a sieve - the small internal pump gave out on another unit, and then the SWCG simply did not produce chlorine in another unit. So, we got fed up with trying to troubleshoot, send back to the company, install another one, on and on. Finally, the company said, the warranty is up, and a new SWCG cell will cost $450, the titanium plates being so expensive, blah, blah, blah. We had three of these units over three pool seasons and decided to cut our losses and go back to conventional chlorination. The company is DelOzone - they've made their name in ozonators for spas and this unit was their first entry, I think, into SWCG for pools. We've noticed alot of these units for sale on EBay ... hmmm, wonder why.

bk406 said:
What you say may be true, but in reality, my opinion is the risk is negligable.

chem geek said:
Some gas heaters with copper heat exchangers are not warranteed for SWG pools
Do you have a specific example of a brand(s) that are not warrented for SWG?

I have an older LAARS 400Kbtu NG heater and in the manual it specifically says it is not approved for saltwater use. I do it anyway and no problems after 2 years. Of course I keep my water well balanced also which I think helps the life of the cell and heat exchanger.

DWSPool said:
jparr: our SWCG was a combined ozonator/SWCG - the ozonator worked well, but the SWCG chamber developed cracks and leaked like a sieve - the small internal pump gave out on another unit, and then the SWCG simply did not produce chlorine in another unit. So, we got fed up with trying to troubleshoot, send back to the company, install another one, on and on. Finally, the company said, the warranty is up, and a new SWCG cell will cost $450, the titanium plates being so expensive, blah, blah, blah. We had three of these units over three pool seasons and decided to cut our losses and go back to conventional chlorination. The company is DelOzone - they've made their name in ozonators for spas and this unit was their first entry, I think, into SWCG for pools. We've noticed alot of these units for sale on EBay ... hmmm, wonder why.

My neighbor has this unit and has operated it for 3 years now with no problems. Not my first choice, but works for them.

I have had my Goldline SWG for 2 years now and no problems. Compared to lugging gallons of bleach home all the time, the SWG is awesome. There are several advantages I have noticed to using a SWG over the bleach:

1. More even chlorine dosing = more stable steady state chlorine levels = more stable pool chemistry and = less risk of algae outbreaks.
2. The SWG cell also generates a small amount of ozone and other oxidizing compounds which can help reduce chloramines.
3. My pool chemistry is so stable now I only have to test my water every 7-10 days.

Downside:
1. Cost upfront
2. Scale buildup on the cell if you don't keep your pH in check.

Well I am officially an SWG pool. Just hooked it up. Put chlorine at 10ppm to give me time to run the 24 hr's it says before running the cell. Just tested CYA and I am 50 so I will add 2 lbs and check again next weekend and add a little more to get it 75-80. Install very easy took 45 min and that was removing the nature2 also. So I will start dialing it in tomorrow. Salt is showing 3300 and the instant test shows 3600. I will take a glass of water and check it against my conductivity meter that is super accurate at measuring salt on my reef tank at the office.

gqjeff said:
Well I am officially an SWG pool. Just hooked it up. Put chlorine at 10ppm to give me time to run the 24 hr's it says before running the cell. Just tested CYA and I am 50 so I will add 2 lbs and check again next weekend and add a little more to get it 75-80. Install very easy took 45 min and that was removing the nature2 also. So I will start dialing it in tomorrow. Salt is showing 3300 and the instant test shows 3600. I will take a glass of water and check it against my conductivity meter that is super accurate at measuring salt on my reef tank at the office.

Which brand did you get? How much did you spend? Did you install it yourself?

Jeeman

When I was building my pool I was talked out of the SWG by one builder who was going to make me sign a waiver for any stone damage if I put in a SWG. I also had a friend who claimed the salt water caused his furniture, grill, and windows to become weathered like you would see at a beach house. He also said it took a toll on his wood floors due to people walking inside without being completely dry.

I don't know what to believe, but at this point I am sick of having to add chlorine every day or two and thinking of putting in a SWG. It would really simplify pool maintenance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.