Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tile scale - best practices for removing

1. Back To Top    #1

Tile scale - best practices for removing

I ignored my high pH for too long and now I've got a healthy ring of scale at the water line. I'm much better about watching my chemistry, but now I have to pay my dues.

Any tips on the best way to remove the ring?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Tile scale - best practices for removing

muriatic acid....handled carefully.

Lower the pool level to expose the complete line, get in the pool and start applying a 5:1 mixture of muriatic
    with an acid brush. If 5:1 doesn't foam up and dissolve the scale, make it stronger.

You could also try Comet or Ajax and you might have some luck.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I've used the diluted acid in a cheapo spray bottle; i found it easier than an acid brush. The acid will eventually eat away the spring and the bottle won't work anymore, but it worked long enough for me. Just spritz it on, wait til it stops bubbling, then brush with an old toothbrush to knock off any loose pieces of scale. Rinse and repeat!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

I recently had a couple of pools with a really bad tile line (I mean reaaallllyyyy baaadddd). I tried dilluted MA and all I would up with was some lightening of it in some areas with obvious "drip" lines on some areas of the tile. I thought I was hosed. I then got some Biodex 300 and a BBQ grill scrubber, got in the pool(s) and applied some elbow grease - and the tile looks (almost) new.

YMMV.

- Jeff
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)