Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Brass and Chlorine

Brass and Chlorine

I was looking at adding some grommets to my solar cover (maybe brass)
    Is there a downside to this regarding chemical reactions with the chlorine?
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

Senior Member In the Industry

Re: Brass and Chlorine

Chlorine will attack virtually any metal. Even stainless in the right concentration.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Yep, chlorine'll eat it.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

I am pretty sure my pool light has brass conduit running to it. I thought the PB did it because brass stands up better to pool water?
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

I'm thinking it might be alright in my situation, since the only time it would really be touching chlorine is when the cover is rolled onto the reel, otherwise the grommets would be up out of the water. Hrm.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

Back in the day, brass hardware was commonly used in pool equipment. Before the plastic butterflys, brass bolts and wing-nuts held your attachments to your pole. Brass ball floats held up the the rubber vac hoses that could not float on their own. Of course, with no CYA, FC was normally 1-3ppm. I think they will hold up just fine.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

Senior Member In the Industry

I probably should've qualified what I said. In pool concentrations, I think brass will function just fine. It'll corrode very, very quickly but it will not be unusable. If you don't mind the look, I would use it.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

It looks like my main drain cover has brass screws and I don't see any corrosion at all (?) Is there something like "marine grade" brass that maybe there are?
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

There's a lot of brass and bronze used on boats and ships. Just saying!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

loop-loc cover anchors are brass they weather well, but they are just near the pool not in it
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. The rate of corrosion is higher when the percentage of zinc is higher. Keeping the zinc below 15% and adding a small amount (1%) of tin can make the brass more resistant to corrosion as described here.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"