Going to start the conversion this Sunday

Moving right along....

As of 6:30pm:
FC: 5.5 ppm!

Now, instead of adding the maximum dose, I have to use the pool calculator. In addition, the pool is now in full shadow, so all chorine should be going into de-baquacilizing duty.

The pool is now a lovely shade of pea soup green.... :mrgreen:

JasonLion said:
You have make a huge amount of progress today :goodjob:

Tell that to my wife, please. She got home from the movies and the look on her face was PRICELESS!! She knew what was coming, but still.... :roll:

Cleaned out the filter for the third time. Readings as of 8:00pm:

FC: 8ppm. Need to add another 1.5 jugs of bleach.
Total bleach used so far: 40 jugs (56.8 gal)

I'm doing late night work for my job this evening, so I should be able to monitor FC's until 2 or 3 am. Hopefully that will make things go along quicker. Starting to get a lot of fallout on the top two steps of the pool, so I guess an early morning "blind vac-to-waste" will be in order.

For your viewing pleasure:
[attachment=0:1a02npbj]pool13.jpg[/attachment:1a02npbj]

Attachments

• pool13.jpg
    pool13.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 160
9pm Sunday, 12 hours after the start of conversion:

FC: 8ppm.

No longer getting huge amounts of foam and sludge boiling to the surface every time I add bleach. Now we're getting a new color: white! The overall green color appears to be fading a tad.

Conversion: day two

Good morning all.

Last addition of bleach was at midnight last night. As of 7:00am this morning:

FC: 7.7ppm

After top up to 15ppm, I've used 48.5 jugs (68.9 gal) of bleach. The water is CLEARING! While it still has the green tinge, if I'm up close to the pool, I can see the bottom of the shallow end. Surprisingly, there isn't much crud on the floor.

9:00am -- 24 hours after conversion started.

FC: 5.5ppm

I can now clearly see the bottom of the shallow end.

Question: The pool is now in full sun (and will be until about 5pm). Have I reached the point at which I should hold off on adding more bleach until evening and let the sun boil off the CCs during the day?

I would keep making bleach additions until the water is clearer. The CC will burn off regardless, and I wouldn;t want to lose the momentum, particularly since the deep end is still very murky.

Great progress! Keep it up and you will be through in no time.

WOW at the baquagoo! I'm anxious to see what the inside of our sand filter looks like. The pressure has stayed relatively low so I don't think it will be that bad. We hadn't added any chemicals to our pool for more than 2 weeks before we started our conversion so our baquagoo battle has been minimal.

You are making great progress! And you have a beautiful pool! I can't wait to see how all these conversions turn out! :)

11:00 am -- Day two

FC: 6.5

Here's a picture of the pool after the initial blind-vac was completed. You can see the break between the shallow end and the slope to the deep end.

[attachment=0:2ia2p26p]pool14.JPG[/attachment:2ia2p26p]

Attachments

• pool14.JPG
    pool14.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 138

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Monday, 2pm:

FC: 6ppm
pH: 7.2

The filter has run for over 4 hours and hasn't clogged yet (pressure is climbing, but I might actually get 24 hours out of this cycle before it needs cleaned). The pool is definately clearing up quickly -- I can now see the main drain and all of the spots that I missed when doing the first vac.

Bleach used so far: 54 bottles (76.7 gals)

Tuesday, 9:00am (48 hours after start of conversion)
Total bleach used so far: 64.5 bottles (91.6 gals).

FC: 3 ppm
CC: 1 ppm
TA: 480 ppm ?? :shock: I did the test twice with the test kit. The pool store number (pre conversion) was 108 ppm.
CH: 550 ppm ?? :shock: I did the test twice with the test kit. The pool store (pre conversion) number was 203 ppm.

I have to be doing something fundamentally wrong with the TA and CH tests -- does anyone have any sage advice? I'm using the TF-100 test kit and following the directions exactly. This morning I thorougly brushed and vacuum'ed the pool and then completely broke the filter down and cleand it out and recharged. The pool has pretty much cleared -- see below. :mrgreen:

[attachment=0:1yemjo6u]pool15.JPG[/attachment:1yemjo6u]

Attachments

• pool15.JPG
    pool15.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 115
Again, your effort is really paying off as this conversion is going much more quickly then usual. :goodjob:

For the TA test, try wiping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after every couple of drops. Sometimes static electricity will accumulate on the tip and make the drops smaller than they should be. Also, for both TA and CH, the dropper bottles should be held vertically and you should squeeze gently so that drops seem to hang for a moment on the tip before dropping off (avoid "spraying" out drops).

10:50am readings

FC: 4.5ppm
CC: 0 ppm

A little more sludge has precipiated out since this morning's vac and brush -- I'm going to have to vacuum again tomorrow morning, I think. Topped up to 15ppm and am heading off to work. Have a good day, all.

Pool report -- 7:30am

FC: 4.5 ppm (10ppm drop overnight)
CC: 12 ppm
TA: 120 ppm
CH: 230 ppm

Thanks for the testing tips, Jason -- the TA and CH are right where I expected them to be!

Did another thorough vacuum today. The pool is completely clear, but I'm still getting some precipitation when adding bleach. It's really evident right after vacuuming. -- I guess it's only a matter of time until it stops and I start holding FC. FCs are still dropping rapidly at this time though.

Bleach used: 75.5 bottles (107.2 gals)

In the early parts of a conversion the chemistry happens very quickly, and the speed is limited by how frequently you add more chlorine. In the latter parts of a conversion, the chemistry slows down, and it just takes a certain amount of time before the reactions complete.

Pool report -- 7:00am -- approximately 5 full days into the conversion.

FC: 9.5 ppm (5.5 ppm loss overnight in 8.5 hours)
CC: 2 ppm
pH: 7.3

Bleach used: 103.5 bottles (149.8 gals)

While I still fail the overnight FC loss test, the drop rate is slowing and I'm actually starting to maintain a residual. CC's are also dropping. :-D We're getting closer!

That's an encouraging progress report. It is very obvious you did your homework prior to beginning the conversion. You've done a nice job identifying your progress through careful dosing and testing.

Do you still have all the Clorox bottles? It'd make a great picture.

Very nice progress.....stay with it! :lol: :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.