Gunite pool repair

gworrel

Jul 24, 2007
I have a section of plaster and some gunite which has fallen out of the side of my pool. I have chipped away all the loose concrete. The deepest part is about 2.5 inches deep. Most is 1-2 inches deep. What is the best way to repair this?

I am planning to paint the pool using Olympic (Kelley Technical Coatings) epoxy paint using their Fusion plus primer over the previous Ramuc chlorinated rubber paint then a coat of the Zeron top coat. Kelley also sells a concrete patch and second patching compound called Pox-o-fill. The Pox-o-fill appears to be a 2 part epoxy based filler. The concrete patch is 2 part but sounds like cement with an additive. Any advice on the best way to patch this area would be appreciated.

I also need to replace about 25 lineal feet of tile that has fallen off. Last year I replaced some (still in good shape) with Laticrete platinum thinset and epoxy grout. The tile has been discontinued. I have an email in to Vintage Tile to see if any new is still available. Otherwise I am faced with re-using the old tile, or tearing out all the tile and replacing with all new.

I re-used old tile last year and used a pumice stone to clean off the old thinset and grout. I have quotes between $1200 and $2250 to replace all the tiles with new. I am inclined to use the old tile and replace it myself for the cost of some thinset and grout. Two different tile setters told me that they do not use thinset but their own mix of white portland cement, silica sand, and binder additive. Any thoughts or advice?

Some of you may remember that I posted about the gunite and plaster repair last fall but I am just now ready to do something about it. Thanks.

P1010043.JPG

P1010044.JPG

P1010045.JPG

P1010047.JPG

Well, I thought I had the problem solved. I hired a tile guy who came out and gave me a good price to replace all the tile. They were also going to fill the gunite hole. He and a buddy used an electric hammer to chisel off the old tile. They then used a grinder on the old thinset. They did not come close to removing the thinset. He started setting tile before I thought it was ready because I could still see what looked like loose thinset. So he ground a little more, then started setting the tile. He had put up three feet of the 3x3 tile when I noticed that it was not straight. I pointed it out. They were not using a level so I handed them a 4 foot level. After checking, they said it was level. I walked up to it and there was a distinct v between two sheets of tile. It was clearly not straight and it was obvious both up close and from a distance. I said that if I wanted it just slapped up there I could do it myself. So he said then maybe you should. I said ok, I will.

So here I am. I have done tile before so I am sure I can do it. Any advice on the best way to do this would be appreciated. Last year I used Laticrete 254 platinum thinset to replace a few tiles then used epoxy grout. I have a compressor and I am going to buy an air hammer to chip away at the old thinset. Any specific tips for tile prep or setting would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.