The most disgusting thing I ever ate

I know what you mean about that little green bug Alice, we have TONS of them down here! Years ago, I had one of the brown ones fly into my nose (why, I don't know). I tried blowing him out the nostril, no dice. Of course, when I did, he let loose with the stink. Guess he felt threatened, and he should have! I swear I smelled that stink for days!

NWMNMom, I've always wanted to try lutefisk. If someone ever offered it to me though, I don't know if I could stomach it.

chem geek said:
Uni (sea urchin). The taste. The texture. The smell. Even the color. For some, it's a delicacy; for me, the experience is beyond words.
My experience with Uni is what started this thread in the first place. I tried it around the time Austin Powers came out. All I could think was "It's a bit nutty" (google it if you don't get the reference)

Richard, I am going to be in your vicinity on Friday. Going to see the Sox beat up on the Giants. I am debating taking the ferry from Vallejo for the heck of it.

Melt In The Sun said:
+1 for lutefisk! Second place goes to boiled conch (ocean snail) I had in Haiti. Reminded me of a rubber band with hot sauce on it.
I love conch...Spent a week in Turks & Caicos, which is the conch capitol of the world. I must have eaten it a dozen different ways. My favorite was on a snorkel trip the guide caught a couple and diced it up with a sort of home made salsa he brought (onions, tomatoes, cilantro, etc). We ate it within minute of it being pulled from the water. Delicious! It is similar to squid, which can be fantastic or awful rubber depending on how it is handled/prepared.

baudilus said:
257WbyMag said:
baudilus said:
A raw egg. Including the yolk.

Never again.

Just because Rocky Balboa did it doesn't mean that you should. :mrgreen:

It was a dare. You HAVE to do it . . .!
Uh, I'll down a raw egg anytime I can find one worthy...meaning that the mass produced ones are not candidates because of the salmonella threat. However, if you can find a local grower(ideally organic) who cares about his chickens the salmonella threat is relatively low. They are a great source of raw protein. Even so, I'm not sure I would make a regular habit of it. I prefer the whites to be slightly cooked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did that aswell Beez, until I read an article that said the body can't assimilate the protein so well if you not cook the egg.
I have probably eaten thousands of raw egg and I'm still haven't catch any salmonella. When I trained I was on 5-7 eggs a day most of them raw but also some in shakes.
Today do I prefer my egg boiled :cool:

I've heard from many other people that conch is delicious; that's why I wanted to try it. I would definitely give it another shot.

Sort of on topic: the most disgusting looking thing I ever ate (and loved) was sucking the juice out of the head of a boiled crawfish. Mmmm....

First place for me - either pinto or white beans. Had an incident when I was a child where I was forced to eat them (ended up puking them back up). To this day, even the smell of them cooking makes me want to hurl.

tie for second - boiled radishes and raw oysters. Boiled radishes have the taste and consistency of a ball of wet cardboard, and raw oysters..well, that's like choking down snot on a cracker, no matter how much hot sauce you put on it.

Oh..spoiled watermelon isn't the greatest either, as I discovered last night... :pukel:

edit: Oh, just thought of something else that I've never eaten, but my mother used to eat...fried pork brains....She'd fry them and eat them with eggs.....ewwwww!!

Henry Porter said:
I did that aswell Beez, until I read an article that said the body can't assimilate the protein so well if you not cook the egg.
I have probably eaten thousands of raw egg and I'm still haven't catch any salmonella. When I trained I was on 5-7 eggs a day most of them raw but also some in shakes.
Today do I prefer my egg boiled :cool:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is the raw egg white where problems with assimilation occur. That's why I made the statement that I prefer the egg whites cooked. But like you, I boil most of my eggs nowadays with the yolk not cooked all the way through. I was just making the point that raw eggs are nothing to be afraid of if you are careful, and I think we agree on that! :goodjob:

I can't say whether or not if the problem was with the white or the yellow or both. I just now that after I've read it I started to boil them and I haven't had a raw egg since. I remember speaking to a competing bodybuilder about it and he had heard the same thing.
As you know do I agree with you on most thing Beez :goodjob: Also on music!
ACDC made a 5 star concerte here last week, again!!! Unfortunately was it in Stockholm a bit to far away from me. But I was tempted to go there. The concerte I went to last summer was out of ordinary and after that have I become a fan again, over 20 years after I stopped listening to them :cheers:

Henry Porter said:
I can't say whether or not if the problem was with the white or the yellow or both. I just now that after I've read it I started to boil them and I haven't had a raw egg since. I remember speaking to a competing bodybuilder about it and he had heard the same thing.
As you know do I agree with you on most thing Beez :goodjob: Also on music!
ACDC made a 5 star concerte here last week, again!!! Unfortunately was it in Stockholm a bit to far away from me. But I was tempted to go there. The concerte I went to last summer was out of ordinary and after that have I become a fan again, over 20 years after I stopped listening to them :cheers:
:lol: It's all good Mats, rock on my friend! :goodjob:

:cheers:
Dave

TimS said:
One of the items on the plate was a steamed oyster.

Now I like oyster stew, and I like cooked oysters. Steamed oysters are not cooked. They are not even really oysters. They are shells full of mucus. No one had ever told me how to eat a shell full of mucus, so I just put it in my mouth and started chewing. I almost lost the entire lunch right there on the plate. :puker: :pukel:

The "friends" I was with, once they quit laughing at my distress, informed me that I was a thoroughly uncultured swine, that everyone innately knows how to eat a shell full of snot, and only a complete idiot would try to chew it. The proper way to eat one, I was informed, was to tip the snot out of the shell into one's mouth and swallow without chewing (or even, apparently, tasting.) My response was, "What the h#ll is the point of that? Why would anyone eat something if they didn't want to chew and taste it?"

I have to say that I once had the experience of going to Alaska to help a guy fish during a Halibut "opener" (I actually got paid to yank the gonads out of Halibut for 24 hours), anyway the owner of the small fishing boat took us to his private oyster cages ns some corner of some bay in Alaska. We pulled up the cages, ripped open the oysters and slucked down the "mucous". It was salty and meaty and fresh - some of the best stuff I've ever had, but can't be compared to anything in the lower 48, I think they become disgusting after more than a 12 hours out of the ocean - unless you add salt and cocktail sauce.

The most disgusting? I've tried rocky mountain oysters and escargot and caviar, but none were disgusting so I guess the worst thing I've had was accidently chewing on a bay leaf that my DW was using for garnish - not to exciting. At least no big bugs have flown in my mouth - yuck.

Kelly Joe

The worst I've had was something we called fish jerky with a seasoning on it. We were stationed in Japan during my husbands Marine Corps days. I thought it looked good and took a big bite. The taste was not describable other than awful! You have to be careful over there so as not to offend the locals and we were with a group of Japanese teachers. Nicest folks you'd ever want to meet but I couldn't keep that stuff in my mouth and spit it out into a napkin, discreetly, of course! I'm not a beer drinker but that's all there was to drink so I washed the taste down with that. I still get traumatized thinking about it!!

Barbara C said:
The worst I've had was something we called fish jerky with a seasoning on it. We were stationed in Japan during my husbands Marine Corps days. I thought it looked good and took a big bite. The taste was not describable other than awful! You have to be careful over there so as not to offend the locals and we were with a group of Japanese teachers. Nicest folks you'd ever want to meet but I couldn't keep that stuff in my mouth and spit it out into a napkin, discreetly, of course! I'm not a beer drinker but that's all there was to drink so I washed the taste down with that. I still get traumatized thinking about it!!
Absolutely nasty stuff. Sounds like the same stuff I tried in Japan, and anything liquid with it, made it worse. Had to chew forever, and still ended up spitting it out. I will never forget the taste, but never knew what it was called.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.