Pool cloudy, mostly in deep end

Mattyssox said:
woke up, still green, pool tested at about 7 total chlorine so i put in three more jugs.

a little later today, I'm going to google the most jugs of chlorine bought in a one week span. I assume I'm knocking on the record.

Ok, so the FC is going up then at your check...that's good.

Your 3 jugs (assuming 182oz jugs) should have raised FC to 15.

Have you checked it 30-45 minutes after adding to make sure it reached the level the amount of bleach should have given you?

I know it's frustrating, but you are getting wonderful guidance. :)

It all depends on how often you can return the FC to shock level. I know that darned work can get in the way, so only being able to add before and after work makes it take much longer than if you could test and maintain it hourly.

Another point about treating your algae problem, is to be sure to sweep the entire pool, both sides and bottom to make sure you get all the algae. You can wait until you start seeing some improvement in the water, but I would do it right away. Too little mention is made of the importance of sweeping the pool as an algae growth preventive, but it is one of the most important things you can do as part of your pool maintenance. I routinely sweep my pool before vacuuming, and often on days I don't vacuum. Just because one doesn't see visible evidence of algae growth, doesn't mean it hasn't already started to take hold on the walls of your pool.

got home..chlorine at about 6-7..so I shocked it.. checked back 1 hour and 15 minutes later and the chlorine is still really high 17-18. scrubbed the floor and walls 2 times in last hour or so. going to check in another hour.

pool still green and cloudy. 4 days and counting.

again, not questioning your practices but how come granular shock used to wipe this out in 1-2 days? i appreciate everyone's help, i just don't understand why chlorine isn't doing the same thing.

tested it again.. been an hour and a half since i dumped chlorine in.

still testing really high.. chlorine level still at 18 easy.
i keep brushing the walls and floor. very cloudy, very green. the filter was running about 8psi higher than the normal run rate. so i backwashed, and saw a lot of crud go out the back. rinsed till it was clear. saw some debri come back in after i turned it back on. is that normal? it wasnt sand, just like a dust cloud.

retested. chlorine still high, 16-17. pool still deep green color. scrubbed it again. psi at 16 still which is normal for my pool.

essentially being at work doesnt help it. and being at home scrubbing/shocking doesnt help it. so i'm not really sure what to do.

If you want to try granular chlorine-it has to be cal-hypo. Feel free to try it if you think it will work better than bleach, but it won't be cheaper. Use the pool calculator to figure out how much cal-hypo to add. Don't use Dichlor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Matt, you have received wonderful advice thus far.

Keep shocking your pool. Hold it at shock level as best you can. The weekend is (almost) here. Maintaining shock level at night is great (if you can do it) since the sun cannot steal any of the FC fighting organics.

Keep at it and get another bottle of POP (pool owner patience) and the job will get done.

What test kit are you using? (sorry if Imissed it)

Mattyssox said:

again, not questioning your practices but how come granular shock used to wipe this out in 1-2 days? i appreciate everyone's help, i just don't understand why chlorine isn't doing the same thing
It has been cloudy since at least December 2008 (your words from your sig) and it ain't gonna clear overnight. The only thing the granular shock did was give you a false sense of hope (i.e. temporary fix) and did not address the problem. The problem will be cured if you are willing to stay with us to the finish with TFP instructions. :)

Do yourself a favor and stick with bleach or liquid chlorine. No side effects to possibly worry about later.:wink:

You can do it and you will have a wonderful pool to show for your efforts.

i keep brushing the walls and floor. very cloudy, very green. the filter was running about 8psi higher than the normal run rate. so i backwashed, and saw a lot of crud go out the back. rinsed till it was clear. saw some debri come back in after i turned it back on. is that normal? it wasnt sand, just like a dust cloud.

After you backwash, if your multiport valve has a position for "rinse", you should turn it to this setting for one minute or so before moving back to "filter". This should take care of the "dust cloud" in the future.

Butterfly said:
Matt, you have received wonderful advice thus far.

Keep shocking your pool. Hold it at shock level as best you can. The weekend is (almost) here. Maintaining shock level at night is great (if you can do it) since the sun cannot steal any of the FC fighting organics.

Keep at it and get another bottle of POP (pool owner patience) and the job will get done.

What test kit are you using? (sorry if Imissed it)

Mattyssox said:

again, not questioning your practices but how come granular shock used to wipe this out in 1-2 days? i appreciate everyone's help, i just don't understand why chlorine isn't doing the same thing
It has been cloudy since at least December 2008 (your words from your sig) and it ain't gonna clear overnight. The only thing the granular shock did was give you a false sense of hope (i.e. temporary fix) and did not address the problem. The problem will be cured if you are willing to stay with us to the finish with TFP instructions. :)

Do yourself a favor and stick with bleach or liquid chlorine. No side effects to possibly worry about later.:wink:

You can do it and you will have a wonderful pool to show for your efforts.

I totally hear you with the wont be clear overnight thing, but I'm just saying that I havent seen improvement in green tint in 4+ days. granular shock seemed to do the trick in 2 days or less. Then it was the cloudiness I couldnt get past. so now using only bleach (and a ridiculous amount of it) i am green AND cloudy, instead of just cloudy. its just frustrating because its been 4 days and i see no sign of it improving.

Can you post a daily set of test numbers so the group can see what's going on from that perspective as well? Since you tested TA, CH and are working on CYA, just FC, CC and pH on a daily basis will give us another method to gauging what is going on. I don't recall seeing a CC - combined chlorine reading anywhere. Also, since you're shocking, the pH test is not reliable, but a good habit to get into testing.

No one can really tell you when it's going to cross over, but if you hang in there, your pool will not be green and will not be cloudy.

Update:

Late last night, I put in a bottle of bleach and a 1lb bag of granular HTH walmart shock I had in. So this morning the chlorine tested at about 10-11 after running all night. This tells me its keeping chlorine better than it did about 3 days ago. Good sign maybe? Anyways, the deep end is still green and cloudy, but the shallow end looked a blue/white-ish cloudy. So I would classify this as a sign of improvement. So this morning i brushed it and dumped in another jug of bleach and a 1lb bag of HTH shock. The jug alone would bring the level to 15 and the granular shock bag may add to this.

maybe I'm going in the right direction.

another question. Vacuuming: The shallow end is cloudy, but i can see the bottom. so it doesn't look like there is much to vacuum at the moment. The deep end is cloudy with a greenish tint. When should I vacuum? The way I see it, everything seems to still be floating around so vacuuming doesnt sound like it would make much sense. For now I have just been brushing it around and shocking it. Please let me know what your thoughts are on vacuuming.
Thanks!

I would at least stick the vacuum down there and see if I got anything out of the deep end. If there's anything in there it's consuming FC that could be used to kill something else. Getting as much out of there as you can will help the process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.