Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aeration to lower TA, how to?

1. Back To Top    #1

Aeration to lower TA, how to?

My TA is 170. I'd like to bring it down a bit.

I put the eyelet back in the return port, and have it angled up, so water is bubbling a bit there. Will this be enough to lower it? My pH is about 7.4 right now.
    13,500 Wilkes Vinyl AG (15'x30' rectangular)
    Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP
    Hayward S-160T High Rate Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aeration to lower TA, how to?

Aeration does not lower alkalinity. Aeration raises pH and leaves the TA alone.

MA lowers both TA and pH. Here's the "How To" Pool School article: pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You will want to add muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.2 then keep aerating to raise the pH up to 7.8 or so and then repeat.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ahh... I had misread that. Thanks. My pH had been low... but I raised it w/ borax. If I had read that correctly, I would have done it a bit different. Live and learn.
    13,500 Wilkes Vinyl AG (15'x30' rectangular)
    Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP
    Hayward S-160T High Rate Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I need to lower my TA. It is at 220. I have a 20x40 inground with a 10.5 ft deep end. I have tried the aeration but only drop by 10 in 24 hrs. Is there any other way? I have swg and it is at 2800. If I increase salt will this help TA?

6. Back To Top    #6

Salt won't have any effect on TA. You lower TA by adding acid; but you can't do too much at a time or pH will drop too far (because acid also lowers pH). The article that Butterfly mentioned really does explain it step by step; do what it says.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by itisi
    I need to lower my TA. It is at 220. I have a 20x40 inground with a 10.5 ft deep end. I have tried the aeration but only drop by 10 in 24 hrs. Is there any other way? I have swg and it is at 2800. If I increase salt will this help TA?
    You probably ought to start a new topic, so we can all follow you as a separate entity.

Salt has nothing to do with TA. Run the SWG at whatever salt level the directions say to use.

Anyhow, TA is sort of a fine tuning thing. I think this is something you get around to after everything else is under control. You are really more concerned with your pH which is what is important. If your pH tends to rise, you ought to work on lowering the TA. You can do it fast or you can do it slow. It is OK either way.

For example, in my pool the spa overflow runs all the time the filter runs, and the waterfall comes on several times a day. So there is a lot of aeration that causes my pH to rise. And my fill water has TA of 340. So, when the waterfall evaporates a lot of water, I have to add fill water. So TA goes up a bit. So pH goes up a bit more. So I add some Muriatic Acid (MA) nearly every other day when I test. I've decided that I'd rather do it slow than fast. When it gets to 7.8 I lower it to 7.4 or 7.2. I have some decay of the waterfall rocks and I'd rather not accelerate that with low pH water.

So when I add MA, just like you, I get a drop of maybe 10. Early this month TA was 140, now it is 80. It is going down, slowly. I test pH every other day, I add 1 quart to 2 quarts of MA depending on what the Pool Calculator says. No need to hurry.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.