20yr pool owner, new to TFP

Zoomie

Jul 30, 2019
NM
We have owned our pool for a bit over 20 years. Recently finished upgrading all our equipment - variable vs constant speed pump, cartridge vs sand filter, added a heat pump and converted to SWG for sanitization. Our water has never been clearer. In the process of learning how to care for a saltwater pool, I discovered TFP. So far I like what I've read and like the approach. Have always felt the process of keeping the water balanced was too complicated and have recently begun to question the test results and advice I get from the local pool supply store. I've always had a problem with high CYA and now understand the culprit is the chlorine tabs I've been using and not once did the store tell me I should try liquid chlorine or some other method. We have an automated cover for child safety and to prevent evaporation and cooling in our high desert environment and keep the pool covered when it is not in use. Partially draining and refilling the pool several times a season isn't a good practice here in a low water environment. My neighbor was the one who recommended the SWG and I couldn't be happier. Now I'm in the process of expanding my water testing knowledge and capabilities, so I can do all of the water testing myself as I've come to realize store personnel really aren't trained well and their procedures are a sloppy, giving me increasingly variable results with levels going from high to low week to week. Looking forward to learning more here and hopefully keeping the water clear and saving some coin along the way.