20yr old OG Softpool Ring Repair

SilverRain79

Jul 20, 2015
Jenks, Oklahoma
My bonus mom has a 20yr old OG Softpool (out of business now for years) and last summer her daughter let her pitbull in the pool and he put 2 small tears and 2 small holes in the exposed ring (canvas split a few years ago) and we hare having no luck patching using a latex patch kit (for Intex type pools). Someone patched it last year and it didn't even last a year, we tried yesterday and the patch didn't hold when we put air in it today. Pretty sure the ring is rubber, not vinyl. I saw someone suggest "Slime glue" and radial tire patches from Autozone, no idea what slime glue is... I've included a pic of the pool (I'm the one in the background looking like the Mexican pool boy 🤣) for reference.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1691980462823.jpg
    FB_IMG_1691980462823.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 26
20 years is a long time for vinyl. Is it even still pliable? I wonder if the vinyl itself is going to accept an adhesive at this point. I personally have no experience with the Slime Glue product, but maybe some others will have more ideas.

Reactions: SilverRain79
Slime is a green goo that you put in a tire to stop a leak.
You have what is essentially the space of many tires- it would require alot of slime. At $18 a bottle that would get expensive fast.
Also the slime coats the entire inside of the tire by you rolling it around- It doesn’t look like that would be possible in your situation.
the tire patches may work if it is indeed rubber.
Slime also makes a patch kit that includes a tube of rubber cement. Maybe that’s what you meant.
Not sure if they would be large enough but it’s about $6 at harbor freight etc.

Reactions: SilverRain79
Slime is a green goo that you put in a tire to stop a leak.
You have what is essentially the space of many tires- it would require alot of slime. At $18 a bottle that would get expensive fast.
Also the slime coats the entire inside of the tire by you rolling it around- It doesn’t look like that would be possible in your situation.
the tire patches may work if it is indeed rubber.
Slime also makes a patch kit that includes a tube of rubber cement. Maybe that’s what you meant.
Not sure if they would be large enough but it’s about $6 at harbor freight etc.
We picked up a patch kit at O'Reilly and are currently in the process of refilling... Then, it it holds air, we will patch up that canvas and top off the ring and pool... Wish us luck

Attachments

• 20230814_165309.jpg
    20230814_165309.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Texas Splash
20 years! That is impressive!
Right!? I think 10yrs was the average lifespan, they've taken such great care of it. Unfortunately the deck placement was a tad too close and that ripped the canvas cover over the bladder, then a rambunctious water loving Pitty named Thor punctured the exposed bladder. 🙄 I'm hoping our patch job holds, so far so good! But we're only about halfway and stopping for the night, gonna pick it back up in the morning.

She lives!!! We removed more of the glue from the previously applied marine tape and the tire patches held! So we topped her off, the pump is running, she's been shocked, and are just waiting on more marine tape to finish up the canvas cover!

Attachments

• image0000(2).jpg
    image0000(2).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 3
  • image0000(1).jpg
    image0000(1).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 4
  • image0000.JPG
    image0000.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.