Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Aeration and PH

Aeration and PH

In an attempt to lower TA a little, I have dropped the PH with dry acid, and have been aerating like crazy, but the PH is not coming back up. How long does this usually take?
    Fort Wayne IG Vinyl 18 x 36 (22,000 G)
    3/4 hp Pentair Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 280 w/ booster pump
    Chlorine
    No heater yet...solar cover
    Mount Airy, NC

The rate of PH increase depends on how high your TA is and to a lesser extent what other factors might be trying to move the PH. A day is a long time to go without seeing any change, an hour without changes wouldn't surprise me if TA isn't too high.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

LadywithIron.
    In addition to what Jason said, how much aeration you produce is also important. The more aggressive your aeration, the faster it will go. I aerated my pool to drop TA from 130 to 80 in about 8 hours. Here is a picture of my home-made aerator
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)

Holy guacamole! That is one heck of an aerator!
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Pool Rover Jr - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

Senior Member In the Industry

Here is a picture of my home-made aerator
    Man, do I like that!! PVC is a marvelous invention and you have used it very effectively.

My only disapoint is that you don't show a picture of the 396 cu in Chevy V-8 engine that MUST be powering that bad boy!!
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

I'm off to Home Depot right after I submit this post.
    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." -B. Franklin

In-ground, vinyl lined, 20'x40', 3-10' deep, solar heater, sand filter, 3/4hp pump, Dolphin Pro, Cover Star Auto Cover.

A proud BBB convert.

I picked up one of these on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pool-Water-Fountain ... dZViewItem
    15,500g Rectangle IG Sport Pool

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon
    LadywithIron.
    In addition to what Jason said, how much aeration you produce is also important. The more aggressive your aeration, the faster it will go. I aerated my pool to drop TA from 130 to 80 in about 8 hours. Here is a picture of my home-made aerator
    Holy cow now THAT is what I call adding air to water.

I was so impressed I had to make my own. It is drying right now and I will definitely be using it when needed. Plus the kids will probably love it!

Thanks for a great idea and the pics
    Brian
    24' round Vinyl liner Doughboy 48" deep 52" sidewall
    1hp Doughboy pump w/timer
    Doughboy Silica II filter with Zeosand
    Raypak 180,00 btu heater
    BBB method
    Sundance Optima '97 450 gal. spa w/Delzone ozonator
    Beats driving to the lake, and I'm only a block away from the lake!!

Re: Aeration and PH

That's a pretty awesome aerator. I've got the high TA problem and my pool jet pointed at the surface stirs it up pretty god but for all practical purposes the TA hasn't budged.

I have been wondering. Would weighting the end of my shop vac hose into the pool and the (cleaned!) vac set on discharge maybe do the trick???
    ETexas 24,000 Vinyl lined IG cartridge filter:(

Quote Originally Posted by JayGee
    That's a pretty awesome aerator. I've got the high TA problem and my pool jet pointed at the surface stirs it up pretty god but for all practical purposes the TA hasn't budged.

I have been wondering. Would weighting the end of my shop vac hose into the pool and the (cleaned!) vac set on discharge maybe do the trick???
    You are dropping your pH to 7.0 before aerating,right?
    Aeration does not lower TA. Dropping the pH by adding acid lowers TA. Aeration brings the pH back up without causing TA to rise.

I just lowered my TA from 180 to 90 using the acid/aeration method. Doing this took about six lbs of dry acid (left by the previous owners of the house), 1 gal of muriatic acid, and several days. I would add acid each morning and evening bringing the pH down to around 7. After a few hours of aeration the pH would be back to 7.2. I found that no amount of aeration would raise the pH above 7.2.

I aerated by using a 45 deg elbow and a 2' length of 1 1/2" PVC on the return. This caused a low fountain to break the water surface injecting a surprising amount of air into the water.

To get the pH to a more comfortable 7.5, I added a few cups of borax after the TA was down to 90.
    11x27 in ground, vinyl pool
    ~12,500 gal
    PAC FAB (Pentair) Pinnacle 3/4 hp pump
    Pentair 24 sq ft DE filter
    One skimmer, one return (no main drain)

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Aeration does not lower TA. Dropping the pH by adding acid lowers TA. Aeration brings the pH back up without causing TA to rise.
    Actually- no I haven't. I'm new and have been studying a couple different sites. I first stumbled upon this DYI notion on "pool solutions" for whatever that may be worth here. I don't know if there's contradictory suggestions or not. I do know I haven't 'got it' yet. I registered here to settle into one set of advice and one school of thought so as not to be bouncing between them.
    I'm still weeding through the 'pool school.'
    So it's off to lower the PH. At this rate my wife will refuse to get in the pool because of "all the acid in it."
    ETexas 24,000 Vinyl lined IG cartridge filter:(

Quote Originally Posted by JayGee
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Actually- no I haven't. I'm new and have been studying a couple different sites. I first stumbled upon this DYI notion on "pool solutions" for whatever that may be worth here. I don't know if there's contradictory suggestions or not. I do know I haven't 'got it' yet. I registered here to settle into one set of advice and one school of thought so as not to be bouncing between them.
    I'm still weeding through the 'pool school.'
    So it's off to lower the PH. At this rate my wife will refuse to get in the pool because of "all the acid in it."
    Don't worry about it, I made the same mistake the first time I tried it.

I aerated, and my PH went up a bit...TA didn't budge. I was like Huh? Went a re-read the article....oh.Duh.

It's all so overwhelming at first, it's easy to miss things. Good luck on your process!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

How's this for aeration?

Thanks for all the great idea's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob
    18,500 gal IG Vinyl pool, 300lb sand filter/1.5 hp pump, 925V Hayward Navigator Pool Cleaner,
    192 sq ft solar heat, TF-100 test kit, BBB for pool chemistry and love it.
    Our pool build slideshow http://s366.photobucket.com/albums/oo10 ... =slideshow

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon
    LadywithIron.
    Anyone have an idea if this is using screwed in nozzles or just holes drilled? The flow seems rectangular not round like a hole would do. I have a portable 1/2hp 1855 GPH portable pump that has 1-1/2 outlets. Any idea if a "T" bar like this with some holes drilled in would be enough to use on TA reduction aeration? Which method is better shoot the water down or make a sprinkler out of the pump and shoot it higher?
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

I made mine from a sump pump I had around. I brought the pipe up to pool height, tee'd it, then drilled 12 1/8" holes in the pipes on each side of the tee. I capped off the ends, & fit the pipes in the tee. I didn't glue the pipes going sideways from the tee, and I can point them different directions if I want, they hold in really good & usually I point one up in the air & one more straight out to maximize the water surface area. The pressure from the jets holds the pipes & tee firmly against the pool wall, so I don't have to fasten it to anything. I've brought my TA down from 250 to a current 120 & still going.
    12,900 Gal. 24' X 48" ABG Vinyl Round (17th Birthday)
    1HP Hayward Pump w/S180T Hayward Sand Filter
    AquaTrol RJ SWCG 2011 startup
    TFP Method since '09, TF100
    50ppm Borates, June '12