Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: help me upgrade my paragon timer.

1. Back To Top    #1

help me upgrade my paragon timer.

I have an old paragon timer that I cant find the trippers for anywhere. I saw at leslies the intermatic T104 mechanism only for 45 dollars. Can I swap out mechanisms and keep the same box? and if so how hard is the wiring?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: help me upgrade my paragon timer.

They look close to the same size. The only way to know for sure would be to measure your unit and then go to Leslies and measure the T104. The wiring is easy. Instead of 1 & 4 for the line and 2 & 3 for the load, the T104 uses 1 & 3 for the line and 2 & 4 for the load.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Will these work? Trippers fit Paragon 4010 Series:

http://www.frontierlighting.com/prod...process=search
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

4. Back To Top    #4

ok so a year later I still have not found the trippers and have not changed the timer. Based on the pic above, how can I tell what to upgrade it with? I want to get an intermatic timer but dont know what model to get.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just look on the intermatic pool and spa site and match the voltage and contact arrangement and you should be good to go.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

how do i know what my current timer uses? 120 or 240 volts?

7. Back To Top    #7

It should written on the label. I can't read it in the photo. Also if it's fed by a single pole breaker it's 120 and if it's a double breaker it's 240.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

what about wiring in the freeze guard? I looked online but cannot find wiring diagram for my older freeze guard.

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you have a model number or photograph of the freeze guard?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

uploading photo now

11. Back To Top    #11

I bought the intermatic T104R DPST. which is 208-277V Double Pole single Throw.

I dont know if I have single pole or double, what does this mean?
    I dont think mine is 120v since everything on the lable said208-240 so I got the 200+ volts.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by heyitsme06

I bought the intermatic T104R DPST. which is 208-277V Double Pole single Throw.

I dont know if I have single pole or double, what does this mean?
    I dont think mine is 120v since everything on the lable said208-240 so I got the 200+ volts.
    Double Pole means there are two sets of on/off contacts, to control two separate wires. That is what you want for a 240-volt circuit, whether or not you had it before. You did, in fact have Double Pole--based on the little wiring diagram on the door of your old switch (see the two little arrows?) Single Pole just has one set of contacts. Double Throw would mean two contacts on each wire, so that current is switched from one contact to the other. Can be used for high and low speed, for example. Single throw means just on/off on each wire.

You got the right timer. Did you get some extra trippers? I take it you are swapping out the box. I think this is advisable, because, although the Intermatic mechanism will probably fit in the Paragon box, it looks to me as though the tabs and locking spring are different so that it would not mount securely. Sort of ghetto if you leave it loose in there, if I may be forgiven.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

13. Back To Top    #13

no the price difference was like 10 dollars so I just bought the new intermatic with its own box. what do I need extra trippers for?

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by heyitsme06
    no the price difference was like 10 dollars so I just bought the new intermatic with its own box. what do I need extra trippers for?
    I prefer to run my pump twice a day, in the AM to give the skimmers a chance to clean the surface, and again in the PM when I usually dose the pool with LC. It's also nice to have a reserve set, because the little effers like to disappear (or their little screws). You won't find them at a box store (I think), but every decent sized town has at least one Intermatic dealer (most electric supply houses are). They always have them.

15. Back To Top    #15

You'll wire the new T-104 just like the existing timer EXCEPT swap the wires on terminals 3 & 4. In other words, put the black & blue wires that are now on term 4 on terminal 3 and the red & blue wires that are on term 3 on term 4.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Since you are going to need to pull the wires out of that box, take a little extra time and label everything very carefully so you can be sure it all goes back together the right way. It is possible to figure out again from scratch, but it is so much simpler if you can just have it labeled from before and hook things up directly to where they need to go without head scratching.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

thanks! I did label the wires with some masking tape and wrote the numbers as I pulled the old timer. The gfci outlet was a pain because the wires were really short so I barely made it work. It was pretty straight forward and I didnt get shocked too much...