2018 Bleach Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
4/Case of 12.5% at The Pool Store in Lemon Grove (San Diego) is $11.53 including tax, which is about $ .22/oz. However, that's with my business account, and I don't know the price for the "man on the street". Might be worth a call.

Interesting.....one of the "Features" on the "Splash Pool Shock Liquid Chlorinator" at Menards - I wasn't aware that any chlorinator was "one of the best options to reduce cyanuric acid levels" - which, of course, this doesn't. Apparently, in today's world, not *adding* to cyanuric acid levels by using liquid chlorine instead of tablets is the same as *reducing* them.

This sounds like the kind of logic you'd hear at the big "L" Pool Supply Store. Be that as it may, 2gal./$4 for 12.5% is a pretty sweet deal, though.

$.241 at Home Depot in Central CA of 10%, date code 18 100 (April 10, 2018). Volume discount when buying 4 or more cases (2 gal each, total 8 gallons or more)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-3-x-128-oz-Chlorinating-Liquid-30128HDX/303115700
How do you get the volume discount? I see the same here in Austin, but I plug in 4 cases and price doesn't change. Looks likes there's 3 g per case. If no discount the price of 2.59 per 121 oz of 8.25% at our local HEB is slightly less.

Solar Breeze - Aquabot 4WD - TFP

How do you get the volume discount? I see the same here in Austin, but I plug in 4 cases and price doesn't change. Looks likes there's 3 g per case. If no discount the price of 2.59 per 121 oz of 8.25% at our local HEB is slightly less.

Solar Breeze - Aquabot 4WD - TFP

The discount was at the register, I was watching. Two gallons per case, 10% for $6.17 per case when buying 4 cases or more, no delivery. Maximum refund value $37

Not sure if this will help anyone since it is a local grocery store, but Lowes Foods (here in NC) has a generic bleach brand - 8.25% at $2.50 per gallon. I thought that was pretty good considering it is 8.25% and my local Walmart is always out of the 10%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Best price on liquid chlorine?

Check out your local pool stores for 12.5% liquid chlorine often labeled as "liquid shock." In my area its generally $3-5 a gallon almost always a better deal than any walmart or homedepot.

Is there a low cost source of liquid chlorine that ships for free? or does this stuff almost always have to be picked up from the store?

During the shock (SLAM) process, can the bags of powder chlorine (Calcium Hypo) be used instead of liquid chlorine with a vinyl liner in-ground pool? It seems that 1lb bags of Calcium-Hypo can be purchased with free shipping for around $2.50 per lb. which is less expensive than the liquid chlorine.

The problem with cal-hypo is the calcium part. You will be jacking up your calcium hardness using that to SLAM. The calcium can also make you water look cloudy.

Shipping liquid chlorine is expensive because you are basically shipping water, which gets very heavy. The other problem is chlorine generally has vented caps so the bottles have to stay upright or liquid will leak out of them. Your best bet for liquid chlorine/bleach is a local store. In general bleach from a local store is by far the cheapest way to chlorinate a pool throughout the season.

How do you determine the date on the HDX gallons?

The HDX gallons are stored outside but mostly covered from the sunlight in the garden center at our local store. Is that a problem?

Look for the printed code, for example......18 100......18 is the year and the 100 is the day of the Year. So Jan 1 is the #1 and 100 is April 10, 2018.

The stronger the concentration the faster the breakdown and heat will speed things up. I have been getting the HDX from Home Depot because I am always there anyway and the price is good. They do store it outside and in the shade but it is always reasonably fresh and I root around for the inside boxes. I have not had an issue with degradation.

The easy answer is right away and as soon as the chlorine gas is added to the water. When this is manufactured commercially they will target a higher % in the container realizing there will be some breakdown over time and safely market the product at the listed % based a on normal supply chain. I did see a break down chart on here somewhere but the take home message for me was the higher the concentration the faster and more significant the degradation. My limit is 60 days for the 10% and if it is older than that I keep looking. At a large store like Home Depot I rarely see it beyond 30 days.

Re: Liquid Chlorine Prices

The cheapest in the bay area of Northern CA that I could find is if I buy 8 gallons (10%) at a time at HD at $3.05/gallon. Cheaper than Sam's, Costco, Target, Dollar Tree, Walmart, Ace, Lowes, and Orchard Supply. Even the local bulk chemical suppliers that provide in 55 gallon drums were more expensive. Anyone in bay area finding it cheaper?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.