2008 Jetsetter leaking + crack located in PVC pipe directly behind Moto Massage air connection.

BritDub

Oct 6, 2023
South Dakota
Hi there, happy Super Bowl Sunday! I’m re-posting this in the hopes that it will get seen by more eyes this time and maybe someone will have an answer or a fix for me!

I have a 2008 Hot Springs Jetsetter that recently began leaking at the panel behind the Moto Massage seat. I have attached a photo of what I believe is the source of the leak. What you see in the photo is a cracked PVC pipe which is directly behind the BLUE HOSE CONNECTION of the Moto Massage. First I removed the blue tube/hose from the nipple, then unscrewed the nipple and this is what I see. I attached a photo of the nipple that was screwed into this area, which the blue tube was then attached to.

We live in a very rural area—two hours from the nearest city—so unfortunately my options for maintenance are severely limited. I sent this photo to our spa dealer, and the service department stated they would simply plug this and gave me a quote. I called them because I wanted this fixed correctly by a professional, and instead I feel like they’re offering to put a bandage on a bullet hole. If plugging the hole is their offer forget it, I can do that myself. Right?

So here are my questions: is the BLUE HOSE/ TUBE an air or water line or both? Is this crack the true source of my leak? Is plugging this hole a legitimate option for a long-term fix? Will my Moto Massage jets still work if I just plug this area off completely and how will plugging this affect the functionality?

I have scoured every forum and watched every relevant video I can find related to this. I know it is a common issue and I am aware that there are kits out there to purchase + fix this issue. However, I’m not sure that this is the DRAIN LINE leak that everyone seems to experience. Please help.

Attachments

• IMG_0502.jpeg
    IMG_0502.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0663.jpeg
    IMG_0663.jpeg
    588.6 KB · Views: 10
I think I asked before, but are you sure it's a crack? HotSprings uses a dark gray medium-bodied cement (glue not concrete) on their fittings, and that looks like a string of glue that got dripped during installation.
If that hose splits and goes to the motosagge jets then it is the air line. They want to come see it to give you an estimate since they can't know what is actually wrong by phone. They'll try to make it stop leaking while they schedule a few days to work on it and give you time to save up for the bill, but they likely won't have time to complete a repair the same day.
The drain hose is a common issue, but is by no means the only possibility, and the fact that the water comes out by that seat means nothing regarding the source as the foam insulation is a closed-cell that channels water and there's a sheet of spray-on plastic on the bottom. It usually shows up on the low side of the spa regardless of where it started.
Most HS have stapled slats for sides that are difficult to remove undamaged, which makes even finding, much less fixong, a leak very challenging compared to other brands.
Most leaks are in the equipment area, so check there first.

Reactions: 98Poolmaster
Hi! Yes, you did ask before and unfortunately it is a confirmed crack. I’m able to wiggle it around and line it back up, it’s actually a clean break around the diameter of whatever pipe this is. :(

I did call the dealer with the intention of scheduling service. It’s over two hours one-way from the dealer to us, so because of where we live the tech explained they would need to have a basic idea of what they’d be doing first, and that two repairmen would come out just to be sure labor was covered, whereas normally they’d send one. They had me send a bunch of pictures to write my estimate before they came, and that was okay with me. So they got back to me and said a plug will be placed and my invoice would be +-$600. That’s kind of where my issue lies.

I mean if the authorized dealer literally can’t be bothered to come out and at least *try* to fix it correctly, then it’s nothing more than a project anyways. Right?

I might as well at least have a hot bath tub if nothing else. What would plugging that off do? Any other options/ suggestions? I know I’m long winded, I’m sorry. I’m just a gal who loves to soak and I’m feeling really bummed.

Plugging it will keep air from mixing into the jet. There may be a valve that did that before it broke too. It will make the jet feel less powerful and move slower.
To fix it you'd have to get to the other side and replace or repair it. That means removing side panels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.