2005 minimax NT 400 worth fixing?

dfahrion

Bronze Supporter
Oct 18, 2013
Iowa
We've owned this pool for 3 years, and each year we start up the heater a bunch of rust blows out but it does fire up. However this year instead I got an airflow error, investigating I found those rust pieces were not flakes from something big but instead were what was left of the fan blades now there isn't enough left to get it to fire, from what I found I'm impressed there was any air moving at all.

With my untrained eye, from what I can see the heat exchanger looks to be in ok shape, and the only thing really rusted was the fan itself, is it worth spending the money to replace the fan on a heater this old?

My other concern is I believe the pool store I trust only carries Pentair and I what I've read here their new heaters aren't that reliable, so if it is time to buy new, do I get a Pentair installed from someone I trust, or do I shop around for a better heater and take my chances with an installer?

I haven't contacted the pool store yet, I plan to ask them on their opinions of replace vs fix as well, but I thought I'd get a second opinion from here.

heater-fan.jpg

Thanks,
Dan

Thanks for the help. I went ahead and replaced the blower and the heater seemed to be working but the weather warmed up and we didn't get much chance to test it. However recently we tried warming the pool from 80 to 85 and it made it to 84 then went into lockout mode with "ERR" on the screen. After a reset and watching it closer I think it is cycling the burner more than it used to, the thermostat light goes out with each burner cycle.

While looking at that I realized I completely messed up, we don't have a minimax 400 NT after all, it is actually a minimax 250 NT, I have no idea where I got the idea it was a 400, but now I've put the blower in for a 400. Is that a problem? Could that be the cause of the burner cycling and/or eventual lockout we saw? If so is there any fix other than ordering yet another blower?

The fact that the thermostat light goes out with each cycle makes me wonder if the cycling is either normal or unrelated to the lockout we saw though.

That is good to hear, the blower wasn't cheap and the idea I bought and installed one that wouldn't work was bothering me. Heater seemed to be working this weekend maybe was a bad connector and opening it wiggled it and got it going or something. But will look into replacing thermistor if it happens again.

Thanks again for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.