2001 Hot Springs Vanguard dead on arrival

Hi,
I just acquired our first hot tub, a 2001 Hot Spring Vanguard, which is in need of work. The previous owner was pretty straightforward about the issues, but was unsure of what was actually required to get the tub back into action.
As he described it, one (he didn't remember which) of the breakers in the sub panel started to trip every once in a while, then it became more frequent, and finally, both breakers tripped and, upon resetting, no anything... none of the lights on the motherboard light up.
Along the way, the Heater Relay as been replaced, once pretty recently (so it is the newer, more robust relay), the main Circuit board(at east once, also not a real long time ago), and he said he replaced the heater at least once.
So far, I have:
*verified that the wiring is correct
*verified that the GFCI breakers are functioning
*verified voltage to the heater relay
*verified that voltage is making it to the black tab and red tab on the heater relay
*verified voltage to the red tab and black tab on the motherboard.
*visually inspected both the heater relay and motherboard. The heater relay looked brand new -- no scorch marks anywhere.
The motherboard also looked to be in good condition, with no scorching anywhere on the back, no soot, etc. I did notice that a small chip in the middle looked like it might have gotten hot. The telephone style plug for the ozonator also looked a little fried, and pieces of it came off when I pulled it out. And the yellow "block" towards the upper left looked like it may have gotten hot, but it was not melted...
Other than that, I am stumped. Is there a way to verify whether or not the motherboard is fried?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
David

You might be able to find a service manual online for the entire system or motherboard. That might have some test points or connectors to confirm voltage. Can you take a pic of the motherboard w/ part number and the parts that might have gotten fried.

Jerry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Jerry,
I have looked everywhere for troubleshooting the motherboard, with no luck... After talking with the tech at Backyard Plus, I found out that this was actually the original motherboard, not a replacement. I asked as many questions as I could think of, and ruled out all of them. I then bought a replacement motherboard. The combination of all the tests lead me to believe that a new motherboard is my best shot to get this tub going...

Thanks for your interest in helping! If I can remember, I will post the results of the change-out...

Thanks,
David

Hi All,
Success -kind of... I replaced the motherboard, and the tub came back to life. Since then, I have had some issues with the 20 amp breaker tripping when I start the jets. I'm trying to figure out if the 12-year old GFCI breaker is tired, or if the pump is the issue.
Other than that, things are progressing. Thanks for your help!

David

Awesome, your almost there. My guess is the breaker might be the cheapest first to replace. If it is I would replace that and if the pump is bad the you will have a new setup basically. You should be able to test the pump windings doing a resistance check. Can you take it out and inspect that pump?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi,
I will have to wait on the pump test until issues crop up again. For now, the tub is running and up to temperature. New GFCI breaker is in, and so far, at least, no problems!
The only thing left to test (for now) is the Freshwater III ozonator. What is the life expectancy of this device?

Thanks,
David

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.