20 year old pool, valve handles are breaking in half, and modern replacements are 90 degrees off.

Jul 25, 2012
Georgia
My handles are breaking after 20 years in the sun:

1698597560518.png

And the flat spot of modern handles are off by 90 degrees. Anyone got a source for old style valve handles?

1698597560614.png

Thanks in advance. I want "ON" to be in line with the pipe valve, not looking closed when open.

Rich

And how am I the only one with this problem?
Your ball valves lasted 17 or 18 years longer than anyone else's. They all switched when the handle change happened and never knew the difference.

If it bothers you that much, replace the valves. I strongly suggest using diverters. The odds of ball valves lasting as long as yours did are slim to none.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thanks in advance. I want "ON" to be in line with the pipe valve, not looking closed when open.
I fully agree with you. That is how all valves with handles should work. But you are very fortunate that the valves lasted 5 yrs much less 20 years. You may want to search for the single handle that may fit your valve stem. No guarantee but it may work.
Eventually you may need to change out the valves, so install diverter valves when that happens.
IMG_0409.png

My ball valves become more and more difficult to operate every year. How do they fail?
Do they eventually become stuck?
yes because they are just plastic. The PB should not have used them, but we see that alot. Eventually you will need to replace them.

How do they fail?
I inherited one with moving. It was an above ground so I was removing the plumbing to store it and the ball fell out. I didn't even turn it, it just rattled and fell out of the pipe. Without unions it would have been a PITA clog.

Usually they just seize. You're lucky when it seizes the direction you need it 95% of the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Superpro brand now owned by SCP/Superior Pool Products.

Alliance Trading, Inc.
109 NORTHPARK BOULEVARD. COVINGTON. LA 70433

1698620802169.png

1698621065286.png

Product # : SPG-561-0001

Mfg : SUPER-PRO

Mfg # : 25802-151-080

Department : PLUMBING - ALL

Product Line : Plumbing - Parts

UOM ( Default ) : EA

Obsolete : This product is not obsolete.

Ship Weight (lbs) : 0.05

Shipping Dimensions : 0.00x0.00x0.00

Product UPC : 849640019481

Super-Pro, 25802-151-080 Ball Valves w/ Union, Slip x Slip Handle Only, White, 1-1/2"

We will be moving this site to www.pool360.com on September 1, 2023

1698621379381.png

25802-151-080

Note that Superior pool360 is a wholesale distributor that sells pool products to pool builders, service companies and retailers, so you can't buy directly from them, but any pool store should be able to get the parts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.