2 speed pump stopped working at high speed (low works fine)

Sep 17, 2007
Simi Valley, CA
Video of the issue

Pump is a few years old. This morning it decided to stop running on high but works fine on low. I think it ran on high correctly for a bit when it started this morning because I heard the spillover this morning. If I try to switch from low to high it attempts to start but then fails, waits a few seconds, and tries again.

I changed the start capacitor thinking that was the issue but that didn't work.

Relays seem to be fine since the pump itself tries to switch.

Could this be a short in the windings?

I also read that it could be the cartridge filters are clogged but I would think the pump would at least try to run on high for a minute then overheat if that was the case. Also the pressure gauge on the filter seems to be within proper range. So probably not this, right?

Coincidentally at the same time I can no longer log in to my Hayward OmniLogic app, but I can control everything from the OmniLogic unit itself. I think this has to be a coincidence

Pump model#?

Certain models of 2-speed pumps have two capacitors. One in the hump and one in the back end.

It looks like a Hayward Tristar, which is usually a capacitor start capacitor run motor.

Motor type CXCP has a start capacitor and a run capacitor for the low speed and a run capacitor for the high speed (permanent split capacitor (PSC)).

The top run capacitor is usually a dual capacitor.

High is a PSC motor and low is capacitor start capacitor run.

Most likely the top run capacitor is bad.

1673740908690-png.469097

1673740960161-png.469098

1673741003598-png.469099

1673741046145-png.469100

1673741068995-png.469101

century-b2979-2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The top is a run capacitor and that goes to the high speed.

The back is a start capacitor, and that goes to low speed.

How are you switching speeds?

Maybe the switch is bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.