Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
North Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a new 115v, 1-hp 2-speed pump on our13,500 gallon 24' AGP. High speed runs on 10 amps @ 3,450 GPH. Low speed runs on 3.2 amps @ 1,750 GPH. At our current rate for electricity, I can run it on low speed 12 hrs. a day for less than $1.00. Problem is the motor case gets very hot to the touch (like, I can lay my hand on it for no more than a second or two at the most.) At high speed I can keep my hand there for 4-6 seconds without discomfort. The label on the motor indicates that it is thermally protected.

The air vents underneath are well-protected and have no debris. I even put the shop-vac down there and vacuumed the vents and the pad in that area. got almost nothing in the tank. I reached into the pump inlet with my little home-made hook to check for an impeller obstruction and got nothing. I have no bubbles in my skimmer and none coming from my pool inlet, either. So, I think a suction-side air leak is ruled out as well. No leaks can be found anywhere on the pressure side either.

We do have a Hayward HP50-TA heat pump, but the pool pump heating issue was never noticeably different whether the heat pump was on or off. We did have service on the heat pump this spring to replace a bad switch, and I had the tech completely clean the coils and test/and PM the unit, as long as he was already here. Everything looks good.

The sand filter has run a consistent 12 psi (which is the "clean" pressure) all year. This is normal since new 6 years ago. In fact, I have only backwashed twice this season, both times to remove excess rainwater, not because the pressure was elevated. Both backwashes showed only slightly cloudy water for the first 30 seconds, then pretty clear. We do use hairnets in the skimmer to help keep excess debris out of the filter. But for the past week I have not used a hairnet and it made no difference. I also deep clean the sand filter every season before startup.

Is this low-speed heat issue normal? If not, where should I look next?

Thanks!

The motor is fine. It just pulls less air through at the lower speed. If you can touch it and not get a red mark, it is operating fine. At work for the motors that get hot we place a sun shield above them. It helps.

I think we have the same Hayward pump and motor setup. You have sand filter and I have cartridge. I was curious since we run pump on low 99.5% of the time. I measured temperature in the middle of the motor in the shade roughly 124 degrees.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.