2 speed pool pump loud and thermal overload after rain

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando, FL
I have a 2.5 AO Smith 2 speed pump on my which was running fine on Friday. After a long rain on Saturday, it started turning itself on and off, which turns out to be the thermal overload switch. I've also noticed that it's much louder than normal, and seems to be running slightly rough (vibrations). It makes the louder noise on both low and high speeds. I checked the impeller for blockage, cleaned out filter baskets, etc and it's moving water just fine while it's on. It will kick itself off after about 1 minute on low speed, or about 30 seconds on high speed. It is not hot (from the outside) when it kicks itself off. I've visually checked the start and run capacitors, and there is no bulging or physical signs that they are failing. I'm at a loss, other than the possibility that water could have gotten into the motor and caused the windings to short out. Does anyone have ideas for what else I could check, or what it might possibly be?

If it is louder and vibrating I'd guess the issue is a bearing going out, especially since the impeller is clear. See if there is an electric motor repair shop near you, they can diagnose and treat it pretty quick. Much cheaper than a new motor too.

Something is causing the vibration, it's either out of balance or a bearing is not holding the shaft in place. I can't imagine the rain from Saturday is still causing an issue. It's not like it was the first time the motor got wet.

Hopefully someone with knowledge of this pump can chime in.

Have you checked the back end of the motor? There is a centrifugal switch there and sometimes the springs get damaged and can cause an imbalance in the motor shaft.

Also, a failing capacitor may not show outward signs. You should test them.

The pump is a Century Two Speed, B2983T.

I checked the centrifugal switch and verified the movement. I looked at the governor and it looked like it was in good shape.

I'll test the capacitors later today once it stops raining. This motor has a start capacitor and a run capacitor.

I checked the capacitors and they both test good.

Checked the impeller again, and it seems clear. Shaft still spins free. Governor all looks good, and springs are functioning. Since checking the impeller, I can't get it to run long enough to prime.

The figures may be a little off since it's not primed, but I checked amperage on the motor, and i'm getting 7 amps on low, and 44 amps on high.. it's supposed to be 1.6/10, so that's what's tripping the overcurrent switch.

Does anyone know the procedure to check the windings on a 2 speed motor to see if they are shorted out?

The figures may be a little off since it's not primed, but I checked amperage on the motor, and i'm getting 7 amps on low, and 44 amps on high.. it's supposed to be 1.6/10, so that's what's tripping the overcurrent

What voltage is your motor? If 220v, make sure you're getting full voltage & 1 leg hasn't failed...low voltage = high amps & temps.

Regards,
E

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.