2 questions

Seeds and seedlings are cheap, and some grow VERY quickly over the course of a season. Depending on your type of fence, you may want to go with a thorny ivy - grows incredibly fast and insinuates itself in chain link fences quite nicely.

baudilus said:
Seeds and seedlings are cheap, and some grow VERY quickly over the course of a season. Depending on your type of fence, you may want to go with a thorny ivy - grows incredibly fast and insinuates itself in chain link fences quite nicely.

I have a thorny "weed vine" that grows out here naturally. Out of all of the thorny plants out here, "wild" or planted, it is the worst to get caught by. It seems as if it reaches out to grab you. Another great plant for thorns is blackberry. It gets far bushier and does grow pretty quickly. You, also, get fresh blackberries if you can beat the birds to them. Our blackberry patch, until I had it taken out, became immense pretty quickly. It also, seems to reach out to grab you.

If you do go a thorny vine route make sure it won't become too invasive. I have tried, over and over to get rid of ours near the fences, and haven't succeeded in doing that in over 20 years. Ours also climbs in to trees and send a few runners out (or something like that) and comes up feet away from the mother.

The back part of our property is so dense with it I have to wear heavy snake chaps to go back there. Machetes bounce right off of it. It has to be cut with loppers to get through. Surveyors hate working out here and charge heavily for the time it takes. The trees are so dense, also, that they can't use GPS. But the main thing is the thorny vines.

gg=alice

I have a six foot privacy fence all the way around except along the back, where I have 4 foot chain link. If i ever have such a problem with neighborhood kids (which I doubt) and since the land four feet behind the fence is also ours, I might just put some thorny bushes outside the fence, thus protecting the people that should be inside the fence, whilst keeping out intruders and small animals and such. I wouldn't mind not finding dead animals in my skimmer this year either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.