2 different pumps, same noise?

jc1of2

Dec 8, 2019
dallas
After the Texas deep freeze in 2021 I couldn't find a new impeller for my polaris pb4-60 so I went ahead and bought a whole new pump. It worked great until this year. It began making a very loud humming noise and the pool cleaner was not moving. I thought it was bearings going bad so I attached my old pump and switched the impeller over. The noise was the same. So I got a new impeller and tried that. Still making the same noise. How can both pump be acting the same way and making the same noise? I double checked the wiring. Could there be a clog in the line?

Do you have flex lines connecting to your PB4-60?

Did you install new flex lines with the new pump?

The flex line can collapse from the inside.

Ok so the control box is working, voltage to the relay is good, relay switching is good, voltage out of the relay is good, capacitor is good. Double checked the wiring to the pump. Impeller spins freely. In/out lines are not clogged. When I switch it on I’m still getting the humming noise but I gave the back of the pump a spin and it started to run but very erratically. Turned it off and on but the hum came back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is the input voltage measured at the pump correct and does it match the wiring?

What is the input voltage measured line to line?

What happens to the voltage when the pump tries to start?

Check the frequency.

Can you show the wiring in the pump?

Is the input voltage measured at the pump correct and does it match the wiring?

What is the input voltage measured line to line?

What happens to the voltage when the pump tries to start?

Check the frequency.

Can you show the wiring in the pump?
The voltage at the pump is correct and it does match the wiring, 240. I am going by the wiring diagram on the pump. The voltage going to the pump after the relay is switched on is the same voltage before the relay.

It’s working. I moved the newer capacitor on to the old pump but nothing happened. So I decided to reattach the newer pump and swap impellers. I also noticed the circuit board on the old pump was broken. That may have been the cause! Thanks for the help.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.