2 days of rain and water holding in the dig site

Jun 15, 2016
cincinnati/OH
After 2 years and 1 month to the day we were so excited to begin digging this week and after a nice start to the week, heavy rain cam swooping in for 2 straight days and nights.
Should we be concerned about water holding in the dig site or should we get a pump and start emptying it out?

IMG_7865.jpegIMG_7873.jpeg

After 2 years and 1 month to the day we were so excited to begin digging this week and after a nice start to the week, heavy rain cam swooping in for 2 straight days and nights.
Should we be concerned about water holding in the dig site or should we get a pump and start emptying it out?

View attachment 478652View attachment 478653
Pump it out of you can safely. Especially so if it’s clay soil.

While it may be on the PB schedule - call them anyway and advise that they need to pump the standing water out of the hole. This is better than them showing up to do more work, seeing the issue and needing to delay further work because they were unaware of the standing water.

That's an awful lot of water; how much of that is runoff? I'd be shocked if that's all vertical deposit. But then again I'm a desert dweller so maybe 2ft of water is normal for 2 days of Ohio rain.

*Edit: I zoomed in in the shovel. That's a heck of a lot more than 2 feet of rain.

You definitely don't want your pool to be a low point in your landscape. Will the frame extend above the soil line?

Reactions: Newdude and thechem
That's an awful lot of water; how much of that is runoff? I'd be shocked if that's all vertical deposit. But then again I'm a desert dweller so maybe 2ft of water is normal for 2 days of Ohio rain.

*Edit: I zoomed in in the shovel. That's a heck of a lot more than 2 feet of rain.

You definitely don't want your pool to be a low point in your landscape. Will the frame extend above the soil line?
That has to be run off. The frame will exend above soil line. There's a giant mound of dirt that's left over. The PB said that they will grade away from the house and pool and thwere will be drains in the concrete to handle the runoff.

Reactions: kimkats
While it may be on the PB schedule - call them anyway and advise that they need to pump the standing water out of the hole. This is better than them showing up to do more work, seeing the issue and needing to delay further work because they were unaware of the standing water.
Thanks! I did that and they are unsurprised by it. They have the materials for the pool starting to get delivered and will evaluate and drain it when they get onsite this week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In addition to pumping the water out I would also ask to see if some regrading can be done too. Just to try to prevent this from happening again and see if this is all runoff or you have a high water table or something else. If this is all from run off and the soil is that good at holding water be extra diligent that back fill is with appropriate material. You may also want to put a french drain or something around the pool and a pump pit as a back up to deal with any water that gets under the pool decking and deck drains so it does not float the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.