1st Test Results with TF-100

Looks like its gonna be an uphill battle with my cya at 140-160...trying to hold my FC at 12...Brought it up to 15 7 pm last night at dusk...8am the next morning it was 7ppm.....brought it back up to 15 this morning..will see what it is at dusk tonight......will it eventually level out?...or will i be adding 2 -3 121oz bottles of 8.25% a day....????????????????:hammer:

Once all organics are dead and the water is clear, you should only lose up to 1ppm overnight after the sun sets. If you are losing more than this, then your chlorine is still killing something. Once you no longer lose FC overnight, then you'll get a feel for what your pool uses from Sunup to Sundown. In full sun, most of us lose anywhere from 2 to 4 ppm per day due to sun.

In your case, from 15ppm to 7ppm is a significant overnight loss meaning you still have an active algae growth. Continue to add bleach and keep at SLAM levels, brush, brush, brush, clean the ladders and behind the lights and anywhere else algae can hide. The more continuous that you can keep the FC at or above SLAM, the quicker it will go. If however, you allow FC to drop low during the day and bring it back up again with a heavy dose, it will take much longer. That's why we advise at the beginning of a SLAM to test and add bleach every 1 to 2 hours....once the FC maintains, THEN you can start testing/adding every 4 hours, until you pass the OCLT.

Once all organics are dead and the water is clear, you should only lose up to 1ppm overnight after the sun sets. If you are losing more than this, then your chlorine is still killing something. Once you no longer lose FC overnight, then you'll get a feel for what your pool uses from Sunup to Sundown. In full sun, most of us lose anywhere from 2 to 4 ppm per day due to sun.

In your case, from 15ppm to 7ppm is a significant overnight loss meaning you still have an active algae growth. Continue to add bleach and keep at SLAM levels, brush, brush, brush, clean the ladders and behind the lights and anywhere else algae can hide. The more continuous that you can keep the FC at or above SLAM, the quicker it will go. If however, you allow FC to drop low during the day and bring it back up again with a heavy dose, it will take much longer. That's why we advise at the beginning of a SLAM to test and add bleach every 1 to 2 hours....once the FC maintains, THEN you can start testing/adding every 4 hours, until you pass the OCLT.
im trying to maintain at 12ppm until i can drain or backwash some of the cya out...my target is 15ppm....i was told not to do slam levels till i get my cya down..will it stabilize with 12ppm target of 15ppm????? the pool is crystal clear!!! See above^^^^. Im trying to do what Rich320 told me to do in post#9 and post#12

Being that my cya is 140-160 i doubled the amount for 80 cya which is 6 ppm fc....to 12 ppm of fc with a target of 15 ppm..when i bring it up to 15 at dusk the next morning its down to 6 or 7 ppm...and i bring it back up to 15ppm by dusk that day its back down to 6 or 7.......Will it balance out or do i have to add over 2-3 gal of 8.25% everyday????...Till i'm able to get my cya down....

Being that my cya is 140-160 i doubled the amount for 80 cya which is 6 ppm fc....to 12 ppm of fc with a target of 15 ppm..when i bring it up to 15 at dusk the next morning its down to 6 or 7 ppm...and i bring it back up to 15ppm by dusk that day its back down to 6 or 7.......Will it balance out or do i have to add over 2-3 gal of 8.25% everyday????...Till i'm able to get my cya down....
That much loss indicates something beyond solar losses. Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure. Even when I was up above 200 CYA and was keeping FC up near 20 I never lost more than 2 or 3 FC per day.

That much loss indicates something beyond solar losses. Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure. Even when I was up above 200 CYA and was keeping FC up near 20 I never lost more than 2 or 3 FC per day.
Like what? the code on the walmart bleach is 15 205..and i tested after i added it just to make sure..I put copper based algaecide and phosfree in prior to all this could that have an effect? i put the bleach in at around dusk at let it mix for an hour...then i shut it off..comes back on at 11pm and runs till 9am???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It won't damage anything. It is no different than slamming at 50 cya with FC at 20. Except you need Richard's tanker truck of bleach to get started.
ok thx keep it at that 62 fc level and check how often? i also assume it isnt safe to swim either correct? the first add calls for 7 gal and 3 qts how much do you think ill need total any idea??? plus to test that high ill prob run out of reagenthow many drops to figure 62 ppm 120x 0.5= 60....Can i even test for a FC level that high 60-62???? So after i meet the OCLT i have to maintain the fc at 12 ppm???? Is that safe to swim in????? In the slam section it says not practical with a cya over 80??? Just had my pool refinished 2.5 yrs ago w/ new pump and filter..I'm worried that high a fc level will damage pool finish or pump????

I would not embark on a SLAM with target FC levels of 62, at least not without doing more reading, and asking more questions first. With levels like that, you are right out of the well-populated part of the bell curve, where most of the SLAM experience on this forum falls. The result is that few posters can advise you from personal experience. Although some people may have tried a full SLAM at those levels, I can't remember reading about one.

There have been a couple of recent threads about high CYA pools that you may want to read. I'll post links in a moment.

Rental Pool doesn't register chlorine - Page 4

Advice about FC and CYA

You may want to think about the 'half SLAM' that Chem Geek suggests in the second of those links.

Anyway, the point of my post is to suggest caution and a bit more research before jumping into a SLAM at CYA 160.

Good advice! Also, the FAS/DPD test is only good up to 50ppm FC. Maybe try holding 30 or 40 ppm of chlorine for a while and see how that goes. Test after sunset and before sunrise fairly often to see if the overnight chlorine drop is getting better or worse.

I would not embark on a SLAM with target FC levels of 62, at least not without doing more reading, and asking more questions first. With levels like that, you are right out of the well-populated part of the bell curve, where most of the SLAM experience on this forum falls. The result is that few posters can advise you from personal experience. Although some people may have tried a full SLAM at those levels, I can't remember reading about one.

There have been a couple of recent threads about high CYA pools that you may want to read. I'll post links in a moment.

Rental Pool doesn't register chlorine - Page 4

Advice about FC and CYA

You may want to think about the 'half SLAM' that Chem Geek suggests in the second of those links.

Anyway, the point of my post is to suggest caution and a bit more research before jumping into a SLAM at CYA 160.
Thx...Singing...I'm stuck with this high cya at the time of year i cant pump it out cause its too hot here in Az....Just trying to keep it at bay till i can drain some of it....Looks like its just gonna be alot of bleach...whats the highest FC level you can safely swim in without being dissolved...LOL??? Gonna go read those articles now...see what i can do till it cools off...Thx again for the advice..I was a little leery about doing a SLAM with FC at 62 shock level...

Since the CYA acts as a buffer against the chlorine, (the reason your FC needs to be high) you are good all the way up to the SLAM level for your CYA. What that is, in your case, might take the help of ChemGeek to know for sure.

Since the CYA acts as a buffer against the chlorine, (the reason your FC needs to be high) you are good all the way up to the SLAM level for your CYA. What that is, in your case, might take the help of ChemGeek to know for sure.
And how might i get in contact with that gentleman? So you're saying that i'm good to go up to a shock level of 62??? I'm getting alot of do's and don'ts here????? Frankly i dont know what to do...thinking of draining some in the 100+ degree temps and chancing damaging the finish....IDK!!!!

Since you have likely had the high CYA for a while and the water is clear but you have an overnight chlorine loss so excessive chlorine demand, I think your pool is not particularly rich in algae nutrients which means that you might be able to get away with a half SLAM meaning a SLAM at half the normal SLAM level. It may take longer to kill off the algae, but since it's not yet visible and therefore not yet clumped into larger pieces, a lower FC level SLAM may work.

If your CYA is 150 ppm, then try bringing the FC up to 30 ppm and maintain it there. Keep it there today, tonight, and tomorrow and then tomorrow night do another OCLT and see if it's lower. If it is, then you're on the right track and just keep maintaining the 30 ppm until your OCLT doesn't lose more than 1 ppm FC or at least gets pretty darn close to that.

You should consider yourself very fortunate that you caught this algae bloom in its nascent early growth stages where it is not yet visible but is creating a larger chlorine demand. It should be easier to get rid of at this stage, though with a half-SLAM it may take longer than usual. Keeping fingers crossed. If it doesn't work well, then there are last-resort methods that can be used to work around the high CYA level, but try using chlorine alone first and let's see how it does.

Since you have likely had the high CYA for a while and the water is clear but you have an overnight chlorine loss so excessive chlorine demand, I think your pool is not particularly rich in algae nutrients which means that you might be able to get away with a half SLAM meaning a SLAM at half the normal SLAM level. It may take longer to kill off the algae, but since it's not yet visible and therefore not yet clumped into larger pieces, a lower FC level SLAM may work.

If your CYA is 150 ppm, then try bringing the FC up to 30 ppm and maintain it there. Keep it there today, tonight, and tomorrow and then tomorrow night do another OCLT and see if it's lower. If it is, then you're on the right track and just keep maintaining the 30 ppm until your OCLT doesn't lose more than 1 ppm FC or at least gets pretty darn close to that.

You should consider yourself very fortunate that you caught this algae bloom in its nascent early growth stages where it is not yet visible but is creating a larger chlorine demand. It should be easier to get rid of at this stage, though with a half-SLAM it may take longer than usual. Keeping fingers crossed. If it doesn't work well, then there are last-resort methods that can be used to work around the high CYA level, but try using chlorine alone first and let's see how it does.
Thx Chem just tested it went down to 8 from 15 at dusk last night just brought it back up to 20 and will add to 10 more to bring up to 30...see what happens the next 3 days...Thx so much for the fast response...Robaz

As per ChemGeek into my 2nd day of a half slam..CYA originally was 140-160 ...Tested today with a dilute test and it seemed to be 100-120...Also tested my TA and it was off the charts...added the 0008 and it turned green..Started adding the 0009 and it never turned red..after about 16 drops i decided to stop..It turned a weird looking yellow orange???? I lowered the PH to about 7.3 prior to starting the half slam yesterday morning...this is my progress so far.......
Tues.8/18 Dawn 8ppm brought up to 30ppm
Noon 15ppm brought up to 30ppm
Dusk 17ppm brought up to 30ppm
Wed.8/19 Dawn 19ppm brought up to 30ppm
Noon 20ppm brought up to 30ppm
Dusk 23ppm brought up to 30ppm

I've been overshooting 30 today if it calls for 1.5 or 1.6 121 oz jugs of 8.25 i just dumped in 2 bottles....I dont seem to be gaining any ground..pool looks clear so basically adding 2 bottles of 8.25 3xday....Am i going in the right direction?? Should i raise my target to 40? Like i said i've been overshooting to about 33 all three adds today....I remove the pool light..claean as a whistle behind it..also took the top off my filter sand looks clean..no ladders and checked barracuda hoses ....I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do now.........????????????? :confused: ChemGeek where ru??????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.