1st test results help!

seems like its holding now. 2 hours its stayed at 12 FC and .5 CC. I added CYA and was at 20 last time i checked. When do i add the other chemicals to get it balanced? i.e baking soda and others to get to the desired levels? Once the SLAM is done? If so, when is it safe to swim in? kids are ting to get in. thanks for all the help

I had the same issue with ammonia - first few doses were being eaten up in 30 mins. Keep up the good work! My pool was only cloudy/hazy with no visible algae, but I have been thru at least 35 gals of 12.5% LC. By day 4, the pool was clear and had no ammonia on my aquarium store ammonia test, but was still chewing thru some FC. I probably lost a day or two by not taking pool light out of niche earlier. There was algae hiding behind it.

Ok, sorry for being so quick on the last post, just wanted to get a quick one in for your kids' sake ;)

Your liquid CYA will show on the test quickly but if you are also adding any powder CYA then it will take some time to register. Just treat your water as if it has as much CYA as you calculated you added and SLAM according to that. In a week or so you can retest and adjust it as needed. Should go pretty quickly now that your ammonia is gone and water is clear. You may even want to run an OCLT tonight since your CC is low enough.

I lost count but i probably have close to 36 bottles of 12.5% too. I can't find my cya test tube anywhere. ugh! i added 7# powder stabilize which is supposed to be enough to bring it up to 30. Should i go ahead and add the other 7# or find my cya test tube? any other way to test cya without that?

Congrats!

Your CH is fine, no need to worry with a vinyl liner. Your TA is close enough, but you need to bring your pH up over 7.2 ASAP. Your FC is under 10 so that reading is accurate.

It is safe to swim though the low pH might sting your eyes. I would get that up first but it is a comfort issue, not safety.

Figure out what your CYA should be based on what you added already and look up the correct SWG target on the FC/CYA chart. Once your FC nears that then fire it up and try to dial it in to maintain that target. In a week you should verify your CYA, adjust as needed and adjust your target FC. Once you get your CYA where you want it and your SWG maintaining the target FC things should run well with only testing and minimal upkeep from you.

Great job on your first SLAM!

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At the very bottom of pool math there is a section called "Effects of adding chemicals".

Plug in the amount of borax you will be adding there. It will tell you what it will do to your pH.

- - - Updated - - -

Borax raises pH pretty signifigantly though. I wouldn't play around with it if I were you. I would just do it the normal way and mess with your pH afterwards. Or use the last dose of borax to play with pH

Sorry, I don't think I got my point across correctly. Go ahead and add borax. Just do it the normal way, adding MA as the calculator requests. Don't try to tweak your pH in the process. It is too reactive with the amounts you will be adding. If you do decide to tweak pH while raising borates, do it in the very last dose you add.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.