1st pool opening

Esto,

Can you post a complete set of test results for us? This thread has gotten w-a-a-y off topic and doesn't need to be this complicated.

If you can provide us test results, we can stop guessing and get you started towards a SLAM.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Esto,

Can you post a complete set of test results for us? This thread has gotten w-a-a-y off topic and doesn't need to be this complicated.

If you can provide us test results, we can stop guessing and get you started towards a SLAM.
Readings from this evening are as follows:

FC- .5
CC- 2.5
Same readings on FC & CC from Sunday eve
pH- 7.6
CYA- under 30 (never registered)
TA- 150 (R-0009 outdated, new arriving tomorrow)

Let me know if you need any other info.

Esto, this thread may have gotten a bit overwhelming, and I have my doubts about ammonia since your pH appears to be relatively stable. Regardless, your initial steps should be as follows:

1. Lower the pH to about 7.2 with muriatic acid.
2. Begin a SLAM Process and dose FC up to 10 for now. Do not add additional CYA yet.
3. Retest FC in 10-minutes.
4. If FC falls below 5 ppm in that 10 minutes, add FC right away to bring back up to 10 and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
5. Do this 10-min drill until you are sure the FC is holding between 6-10 ppm for 10 minutes.
6. Once you have confirmed the FC is holding, NOW you can add stabilizer to ensure your CYA is at least 30. Use the sock method.
7. At this time you will also increase the FC to 12 which is your new SLAM level. If later you find your CYA to be higher than 30 (say 40) then your SLAM FC level will be 16.
8. Only use liquid chlorine for the SLAM Process. Test as often as needed to try and maintain that proper elevated FC SLAM level.
9. No need to test any other levers for now other than FC and perhaps CC once or twice a day. After you add the stabilizer, you can test the CYA in a day or two.
10. Continue the SLAM Process until all 3 SLAM criteria are met.

This is your get-well path for the water. Good luck!

Esto, this thread may have gotten a bit overwhelming, and I have my doubts about ammonia since your pH appears to be relatively stable. Regardless, your initial steps should be as follows:

2. Begin a SLAM Process and dose FC up to 10 for now. Do not add additional CYA yet.
4. If FC falls below 5 ppm in that 10 minutes, add FC right away to bring back up to 10 and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
5. Do this 10-min drill until you are sure the FC is holding between 6-10 ppm for 10 minutes.
6. Once you have confirmed the FC is holding, NOW you can add stabilizer to ensure your CYA is at least 30. Use the sock method.
7. At this time you will also increase the FC to 12 which is your new SLAM level. If later you find your CYA to be higher than 30 (say 40) then your SLAM FC level will be 16.
8. Only use liquid chlorine for the SLAM Process. Test as often as needed to try and maintain that proper elevated FC SLAM level.
9. No need to test any other levers for now other than FC and perhaps CC once or twice a day. After you add the stabilizer, you can test the CYA in a day or two.

Ok so I am at step 6 above. My FC was holding above 7 after 10 minutes and I just added 3 gallons of liquid stabilizers that’s what I have.

Ok so I am on step 6 and my FC was holding above 7 after 10 minutes. I’ve added 3 gallons of liquid stabilizer because that is what I have. I figured cya to be under 30 and it could have been zero. Calculator says 3 gallons raises cya 43. At this point, I need to slam it again to the new slam level?

full

Test your cya tomorrow & readjust your slam fc level if necessary.
If the test reads in between two marks round up.
Example- cya anywhere between 40 & 50 is considered 50ppm for chlorination purposes.
FC/CYA Levels
Replenishing fc to slam level every hour or two is sufficient- no need to keep testing every 10 minutes.
If all you can do once the work week rolls around is 4 times a day that’s ok too. It will probably be holding alot better by then anyway.
So long as you’re replenishing to slam level multiple times per day you’re on the right track.