1st pool, gunite, on a budget, finished!!

Re: 1st pool, gunite, on a budget, almost finished!

Thanks for the tree compliment Bob. Even if the pool will be shaded significantly, the trees are definitely staying -they are at least as old as my house if not older. BUT I don't love them as much in the fall. The small town I live in allows in-town burning (during non burn bans) and when I do major leaf clean up, I can't tell you the number of people who drive by - thinking my house is on fire from all the smoke.

Dave, you made me smile :D. I am so glad to hear everything looks good!!! YAY!! I don't know the difference between a Jandy or a Dandy, and I know you do, so I am relieved. Thank you!!

Plaster today!! Water's going in as I type. I'm trying to "stay cool" for my daughter and her friends, but secretly I want to go do the dance of the pool gods on the deck. :party: I still haven't ruled it out.

Pics of today's work below:

Re: 1st pool, gunite, on a budget, almost finished!

It's been a while since I updated - I have been busy busy brushing the new plaster and trying to get the yard presentable again! I'm still using chlorine tabs, and so far have added lots of muriatic acid (1/2 a gallon a day for the past week, today was the first day my PH was in linen at 7.4) My pool builder's store had me add some stabilizer and a small amount of calcium (which now I know I shouldn't have, and won't do again for a while). The calcium didn't leave any stains, maybe because I've been brushing 4 times a day!

Today I noticed a place in the pool that looked like a stain. I had my daughter and a friend investigate it, they said the plaster is gone and it looks like rust. It's about the size of a nickel, and dark brown. I've already reported it to my pool builder and they are sending someone to look at it. I don't like asking hypothetical questions - but if it is rust, is there anything that can be done?

Re: 1st pool, gunite, on a budget, finished! But now there's a stain?!

Thanks Robbie. The pool builder thinks its maybe something that fell into the plaster when they were putting it in, that has now broken free and left a pit in the plaster. With all the trees around my pool - one being pecan - it's certainly a possibility. They are going to do a patch repair on Thursday, I'm hoping since I have white plaster it won't be very obvious.

Re: 1st pool, gunite, on a budget, finished! But now there's a stain?!

Hi Tylerlisa!
Glad to see you back!

If its just a surface stain, its easy. Just put a couple of vitamin c pill in a rag and put it on teh stain. The vitamin C will lift the rust stain off. This is not all that unususual for some small piece of metal to get in a pool.
Your PB so far has been a good one. Hopefully this is just an anomoly.

Keep us posted!

It's been a while since I updated, mainly because we are spending so much time at the pool! I have to say, it's one of the best decisions I've ever made, and is certainly the most enjoyable "home improvement" I've done. My daughter and I are learning all about pool chemistry and thank goodness she loves testing the water and really loves emptying the skimmers!

The "stain" was just plaster that had chipped away, most likely due to something from my many trees falling into the pool during plaster. The pool builder patched over it, and unless you knew where it was you'd have a hard time finding it.

Below are the latest pictures - there will be a slide added next summer, and lots of landscaping - but I am very happy with the way things turned out. Final cost was just a little over $36k, a little over my budget but nothing to complain about.

Hi Lisa,
I tell ya, Im blown away by how well your pool went. It certainly was a breeze compared to many! You did indeed pick the right builder and the price, even though a little over your budget, was a fantastic price. That also blows me away.

Glad to hear the spot in the pool plaster was just superficial!
As I'm sure you know, you and your daughter learning about pool chemistry and testing your own water is a great protection for your investment.
No one will care for it like you will.

Thanks so much for sharing your pictures and your pool build!

Dont be shy about asking any chemistry questions if you have any. Plenty of knowledgable folks here to help.

Enjoy the pool and the rest of the summer!

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

Me too. She certainly picked a good builder that took care of the property and got the job done as it should be. Outstanding job by the PB

I am absolutely amazed at how clean your yard was through that whole process. Mine looks like a bombed out village!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lisa - we're heading out that way for a horse show in September. Maybe we'll stop by, stand under your trees and look over your fence in envy at your beautiful water filled pool. Divin Dave is right - it's actually nice to see a pool build go well, on time and the owner get to simply enjoy it. Nice job - Karen

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.