1st pool all kinds of questions!

Since you haven't been able to test anyway it will be dissipated soon. Just realize when you get your kit you might show high CC.

If the copper was right on that test sheet you showed, it will not be long before the green hair monster shows up ------

Heres my thoughts as far as being sneaky. I'm not totally against that idea but I'm also wanting to do a couple of things with this. I almost want that i told you so moment when the hair is green etc. Sounds crazy but i was boiling mad when we had our discussion about the pool chemicals being used etc. She is very stubborn. As am I. But I know its an argument I'll simply not win untill the effects of the frog are happening.

Your first problem is you assume they are trained at all other than put the water in here and hand the customer the printout.

I bet you a jar of fresh blueberry jam that the person giving you the chemical advice has no idea what is in the stuff they are selling you. Let alone how different chemicals interact with each other to change your water. It's not that they actively want to swindle you they believe what they read on the bottles and what the computer tells them.

Heres my thoughts as far as being sneaky. I'm not totally against that idea but I'm also wanting to do a couple of things with this. I almost want that i told you so moment when the hair is green etc. Sounds crazy but i was boiling mad when we had our discussion about the pool chemicals being used etc. She is very stubborn. As am I. But I know its an argument I'll simply not win untill the effects of the frog are happening.

It's a pool, not a child. Let it go. Love your wife. Smile. Green hair? No big deal. Stains on the liner? Whatever.

Unless you can find a stress-free reason to allow yourself to hold onto those thoughts that drive you crazy - why do it? Just my current opinion on the subject.

Well let me ask this. If i test my water with the test kit coming will I instead be able to have her pickup the chemicals that are actually needed? Or here's kinda what I have in mind. I test the water. See whats out of balance. Use pool math and send her after what is needed. If i eliminate them testing the water and only have her pickup what is needed i could probably cut out a huge portion of the cost that way. I can always just not replace the mineral pack and even the chlorine in the frog system. I'm not sure she would go for that though and will probably insist on having tests done there at the store. The test kit i just bought will probably only benefit me in seeing what causes the green. Whether that be hair or algea growth.

As much as you read here there is something more important you need to do. Take a step back and go for a swim or have a cold beer on the deck and enjoy it. Your pool isn't going to explode from the evil frog overnight. Keep an eye on your CYA and FC levels so you know your pool is sanitary. If you do that the pool store should keep saying your water looks good. That should keep those bills at bay.

Get the pool pump timer to save on the electric bill. Let the frog be live .... For now :batman:

You are sneaky ------------ :cool:

I suppose you could *coincidentally* arrive at the pool store the same time as your wife and ask the (ahem) POOL EXPERT (ahem) in front of your wife:
1. Is MPS non-chlorine shock an EPA approved sanitizer at pool temperatures? (No, kill time is too slow)
2. What is your scientific justification for selling me such a slow acting oxidizer instead of an EPA approved fast acting one like bleach/stabilized chlorine? Do you want my family to get sick or something?
3. According to your company's website, MPS is added to help reduce CC...isn't that right? I see on your test, my CC is zero and my FC is very high...Why do I need to add MPS?
4. Will you refund all my previous purchases of it, since you were clearly taking advantage of my beautiful, loving, and honest wife who trusted you to know what the heck you're selling?

With your kit, as long as MPS wasn't added in the last week, you'll know EXACTLY what your pool needs (and everything it doesn't). You could make her your suggested shopping list and dosing schedule and ask her what the Expert thinks about it. It might look like this:
40 oz of 8.25% sodium hypochlorite once daily (or more as needed to maintain FC of X for CYA of Y)
and nothing else until PH is less than 7.2 or more than 7.8 or CYA is less than 30. Ever.

As much as you read here there is something more important you need to do. Take a step back and go for a swim or have a cold beer on the deck and enjoy it. Your pool isn't going to explode from the evil frog overnight. Keep an eye on your CYA and FC levels so you know your pool is sanitary. If you do that the pool store should keep saying your water looks good. That should keep those bills at bay.

Get the pool pump timer to save on the electric bill. Let the frog be live .... For now :batman:

:goodpost:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just my two cents. Happy wife happy life. Your pool is new go enjoy it and stop worrying. Ease into the testing with your wife. Use the term pool chlorine not Bleach.

Nothing can happen to your pool that the great people on the board can’t help you fix down the road

]Use the term pool chlorine not Bleach.
This one change has helped more significant others come around to TFP than I ever could have imagined.
Also, remember she's just trying to get it all right too. She probably believes she's trusting experts who know way more than you do or we do - enough to pay rent, employees, have hundreds of thousands of dollars of inventory, etc. Honestly, in general - I'd probably prefer my significant other to trust supposed experts who manage to stay in business rather than trusting my family's safety to the advice of "those crazy internet people trying to bleach my new bathing suit." Her instincts seem good, so have faith in her that when her expert assumption is proven wrong, whenever and however it happens, she will seek a new expert, which if you've done your TFP homework, can be you if you're ready. If you're not ready by the first green hair incident - that's on you! Then you could expect her to switch pool stores instead of trusting you. Get to class: Pool School

How far is this pool store from the house? Once she sees you testing and telling her how great the water is, maybe the drive will become less important...especially if the pool store is using the same reagent tests as you.

BTW, this thread is kind of fascinating. Advice on pool chemistry, construction, landscaping and married life!

A belated welcome to TFP!

I'm enjoying the thread as much as anyone. You hit the nail on the head with the crazy internet people. I'll be more than studied up on TFP school and caring for the pool for when the symptoms arise. I may not get it 100% down pat but ill do my best. And your exactly right on the bleach the bathing suits and pretty much everything else you said! I don't mean to panic of the green hair but there has been multiple times that I'm happy with the game plan of using the frog till symptoms arise and a post will come up saying green hair monster and too much CYA and copper and liner stains and draining the pool and I freak out over it. I've got my plan and will be sticking to it. I appreciate all the advice and I know I've been forwarned over the frog system.

Good Morning! While stirring my caffeinated beverage of choice this morning my mind thought about stirring the pot... so adding to my list of "ambush the pool store expert" questions:
5. How many years have you been a Certified Pool Operator (CPO) and what grade did you get on the test? (My main pool store's manager is, but she is the only pool store person that I've asked that was)
6. Why is our copper high? (frog)
7. What product can we use to get the copper out of the pool? (none, must do a partial drain and replace)
8. Should we keep using the frog? (no)
9. Why would you sell something that puts copper, which can't be removed without water exchange, into my pool? Do you think my son's hair turning green before his graduation photos is funny?
10. Can I get a full refund on my frog please? (if no, why not?)

I'm just gonna let it play out. No sneaking around or asking for explanation. I already know how that will go. Next question. I have a 6 feet wide set of stairs going from the higher level deck to the new deck that is against the pool. I have 2 3 feet wide gates on the stairs. I havent found a good self latching system for double gates. Anyone else ran into this issue? Self closing shouldnt be hard to accomplish. Self latching on the double gates is the only thing im struggling to come up with.

So i got my test kit and love how simple it is. Tf100 should have got the speed stir though. Kicking myself over it. Anyways allow for room for error. 1st time tester here.

Cl/br 5/10
Ph 7.5
Fc 5.5-6.0
CC 0
CH 275
TA 130
CYA somewhere between 60-70

If i put a number rather than a range i was confident in the results. Done the testing twice to confirm and came up with the ranges. The CYA test can vary a little from what i experienced. Depends on what you consider cant see the black dot. Like cant possibly identify the dot is there or it becomes a bit blurry.

Great job on the first test!!!

CYA test -=- is the toughest. Make sure you do it in bright sunlight, back to the sun, vial at waist high.

I learned from KimKats to fill the vial to a line, say 90, GLANCE at the dot, if there, fill to the 80, glance, repeat, etc. If I start at the vial the whole time, I will see that dot to the top!!

So using a CYA of 70 and FC of 6 you are at target level FC. I would monitor the CYA every month to see how high it goes. If the FC stays the same, be ready for the algae to appear. Or it may not this year, but no promises on next. Will you drain the pool for the winter?

Take care.

Not 100% sure on the plans for winter yet. I spoke with the pool store today about the suspected leak. If i do indeed have a leak a new liner will be going in next spring. Or whenever best for me. They will cover water replenishment and chemicals as well. Still havent managed to keep the kids out long enough to conduct an accurate bucket test but given the fact we've had no rain here in almost 2 weeks and ive got an area that the ground stays moist I'm pretty confident I've got a leak. Neighbors have 18x33 oval and he says he adds water maybe every 2 weeks. Im adding water twice as often if not more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support