Hayword 5060 Starting Capacitor or Something Else?

May 31, 2007
TEXAS
Last year my booster pump wouldn't come on at the first of the season (hummed for a bit then tripped the circuit). Thinking the impeller was clogged as the result of a torn filter last year I took the pump apart to find it wasn't clogged but it wouldn't turn either. With a little encouragement from a pipe wrench (probably not the best idea) it started turning so I put it together and it worked fine the rest of this season.

Fast forward to this season and same deal. The old pipe wrench worked last year, so why not give it another try. The pump freed up, I put it back together and it ran fine (OK it was a bit loud) for about half an hour before it locked up.

My thought is that the pump should turn with less effort so the starting capacitor may not be the problem, that and the fact that I had it running then it quit.

Any suggestions on where to start?

I ran in to the same problem this year. I got mine to start by using a wrench. It's running fine now but it is rather noisy. I think the bearings are the culprit. I don't have the knowledge of how to change the bearings. I called a pool company who has serviced my pump in the past. They said it wasn't worthing changing the bearing due to the labor and cost. They said a new unit would be the best option. Not sure if they are telling the truth.

I went ahead and tried a new capacitor. Thought it would be worth the $15 if I could get it to run but no dice.

Am I correct in assuming that the impeller screws off and is reverse threaded?

I think I've got it turned about 180 so far and it isn't playing nice. :evil:

The bearing on the back end was bad so my money is on the front one being bad too..... just got to get it apart. :grrrr:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.