1969 Gunite single pool light replacement - A case of leave well enough alone to avoid potential leaks?

CMH-CVG

May 14, 2023
Cincinnati/OH
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is this a case of leave well enough alone....dont touch the light to avoid leaks?
Question: Can a 1969 built gunite pool with a light (in disrepair) in the deep end be replaced without draining because the light niche constructions are similar to current pools that allow replacement under water?

Background
The 1969 Gunite pool has a single pool light in the deep end, which does not work and the cables are cut off at different locations, and most likely there were not even grounded. (Had to run a new power cable for the pump as this was not grounded)

The pool passed a Leak Detection test 2 yrs ago when we purchased, and I have not noticed any leaks either since then.

Action
I thought about replacing the light after watching some Youtube videos, encouraged by the option of not having to drain/lower the water level to access the light niche.
However....given the state of disrepair this light is showing, and what I can surmise is some sort of tape around the light frame, I am thinking to leave it alone, as not to invite a potential leak from forming. I dont know if the light frame and enclosure is just holding on and if I touch it I will invite a bigger problem with a leak.

Other considerations
The pool was painted by prior owner and the paint is severely chipping off. Think best is to leave it alone and address when the chipping requires a new surface treatment (paint or other) and at that time, install a new lamp....thoughts?

The photos I am attaching show the light under the water (taken from the diving board), the cut cables and what I believe must have been the light timer controller. (All is disconnected as the cables were cut at several locations). Also a photo of the chipping paint.

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpeg
    IMG_0663.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0640.jpeg
    IMG_0640.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0639.jpeg
    IMG_0639.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 18
I have no context for what your collage of pics is showing me.

Chances are your pool wiring does not meet current electrical codes and should be upgraded.

I would not touch the light until you are ready to open up a can of worms.

Reactions: CMH-CVG
That wiring and controller look to be associated with low voltage landscape lighting, not a pool light.

I think your idea to just leave everything alone until you're ready to drain and refinish the pool is a sensible one.

Reactions: CMH-CVG
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.