1963 pool resurection

Well somehow passed final inspection and got a green light to plaster. Still missing accent tiles, gas meter change out and hook up, pool and spa lights and the equipment needs a gfi breaker plus hook up the low voltage wiring to the brain section of the easy touch.
I also read in the ic40 manual that you should use a "dummy" cell for the first 30 days after new plaster to insure safety of the salt cell. Is this necessary?
Also, at what point are the lights installed? Before or after plaster? It seems to me it should be before but not sure if it matters much.
The lights have yet to show up on the job site. They will be 12v lights does that mean the pool box and bonding wire isn't needed?
Thanks for the help.

I was told 30 wait for the salt cell on our Pebble pool and it's installed but not plugged in.
The lights should be "installed" (plugged in) but removed for interior finish and then secured in.

Maybe you can see it behind them.... plugged in but removed for the finish. They later reinstalled it.
20141014_142314-M.jpg

Thanks Chris. That's what I thought about the lights.
Pentair recommends for the first 30 days after new plaster start up,
"After new pool construction has been completed, in order to prevent debris from entering the IntelliChlor cell assembly, it is recommended that the IntelliChlor pass-through cell (P/N 520588) be installed before installing the IntelliChlor cell. After the pool system has flushed the debris from the pipes, remove the pass-through cell and install the IntelliChlor cell."

The only reason that wouldn't make sense to me is that the cell is located (in mine at least) immediately downstream of the filter (cartridge) so no debris is getting to the cell to get stuck in the metal plates inside it. However on the upstream side of the filter there was definitely construction debris in the pipes which evidenced itself in the pump basket for the startup period. Perhaps a different type of filter would let larger debris through?

In the end why not put in the empty canister? It should be connected with two unions and take about 1 minute to replace after 30 days when adding salt and going live with the SWCG.

Good point bmoreswim.
I also have a cartridge filter and then a heater before cell.
I think it should be ok. The pass through (dummy) cell is probably more of an opportunity for pentair to take another $40 out of my pocket. Lol. That's why I ask to see if its widely used or not before buying one.
Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pb told me on Friday he was ready for plaster this week. I said "ok, but don't we need to put the lights in first before plastering?"
He says," lights?"
" Uh yeah, you know the pool and spa lights."
"I'll have to get back to you." He says.
Still waiting...

Yes he has done this on several occasions. It's ridiculous.
Right before that he asked me if I cut the pipes to the light box. What did he think was going in that box?
He also informed me that all the fittings for the gas hook up had been left on site so I could go ahead and call the gas company out to change out the meter and hopefully they would install the service end of the gas line while they are there.
This guy is a trip.
I called the gas company myself and they said someone would call me back within 5 days to schedule an inspection and then order the new meter then schedule a day to come and change it out. This should have been handled a long time ago. By him.
It never seems to stop. I am over frustration now and in a sort of zen like trance about the whole thing. All joy has been removed from the project long ago.
My kids don't even ask about the pool anymore.
Thanks pb.

I am over frustration now and in a sort of zen like trance about the whole thing. All joy has been removed from the project long ago.

I am right there with you! Occasionally my frustration flares up, but mostly it's a trance state. What I find amazing is that they don't care that they aren't getting paid. We have big dollars outstanding to them that could easily be handed over if they just did what's outlined....Namaste - Karen

I'm thirding the motion that the PB has sucked all the excitement and joy out of having a pool built. Mine asked me today if I was excited to be nearly finished and I just looked at him as if he had grown two heads.

Honestly the only thing I am excited about is never having to see the pool builders ever again.

I have a sad for all of you. Something that could be so much fun and so exciting turns into something almost hurtful and soulsucking. That is just not right!

HUGS to all of you. ONE day (who knows what day) you all will be done and showing us pictures of your pools!

Kim

Generally lights go in before plaster. Usually the day before. That way the installer, usually the electrician can stand in the gunite pool and feed the cable into the conduit. The lights are then just set on the side of the pool while its plastered. and the plaster crew places them with the retaining ring.

You can do it later but that means you have to snake and run the cable through a wet conduit.

My wife called and said they actually showed up today. They asked her to move her car out of the driveway so they could get the trick in there to load out all their ****. She said you are going to lay some trim tiles too right? They said yes. I guess I'll see if they actually did any work today or are just trying to retrieve their stuff and disappear. Don't really care either way.
Side note, I got a call back from the gas co. Today. The "free" meter upgrade turns out not to be free after all. Good news I'd they say they have no problem tying the heater gas line into the new meter.
At least I got that going for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.