1963 pool resurection

I'm with you on saving what you have. Going modern and trendy just makes it that much easier to go back out of style so much sooner. Gold and Avocado, need I say more :confused:

If it really goes bad and there is NO REASON to think so you still would have a great miniature skate park in the back yard !!

I'm with you on saving what you have. Going modern and trendy just makes it that much easier to go back out of style so much sooner. Gold and Avocado, need I say more :confused:

If it really goes bad and there is NO REASON to think so you still would have a great miniature skate park in the back yard !!

You should drop in at least once before you start with resurfacing...

I wish, Blaine.
It's actually in the deep end. I considered putting the spa there but my wife doesn't like the idea. It's kind of out of view from the house and she's worried about the kids potentially being in there where she can't easily see them, especially because it's in the deep part of the pool. Not completely out of the question though as the kids shouldn't even be near the pool without supervision.
I'll post a picture of the damage tonight when I get home along with today's progress.

I've seen a few pools on here redone but staying with the older style. They look great too! Robbie's pool comes to mind.

day 6

and here is the hole that was punched in the shallow end. much bigger than we had hoped for.

it is what it is. the workers will not be back until Monday to finish emptying the rest of the pool. hopefully they will finish then. we have loaded 4 of the trucks seen in earlier photos. each truck is around 22 tons. we still have another load or 2 to go.
as soon as the pool is emptied and cleaned out we will get some pool builders to assess the damage and see what we can do to make this happen. crossing all fingers and toes!

here is a shot of damaged coping. i dont think it could be safely removed and relocated but possibly repaired or replaced. not likely but maybe.

Not sure why but this coping photo came out upside down. at least on my mobile devices.

oh, and we found the old pool light buried in the pool too.

Last edited:
I can't tell from your pictures but is your coping a standard size? I've got 2 pieces of coping I'm going to have replaced and I'm thinking about maybe staining all the coping so it matches. Would that be possible for you? How about saving the coping from where the spa is going and maybe re-using it to replace the broken ones?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great progress so far. On the holes I'd suggest you call a few pool renovators. I'd imagine they've seen this before.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.