1963 pool resurection

I back washed a couple times this season with well over 3000 ppm salt and 5ppm cl2. Unless you have some real pansy grass, you shouldn't have a problem. If you do, come get some of my manly grass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With my last (salt) pool, my excess water drained right into the yard. Once the grass grew in, I could barely even find the edge of the tile that dumped into the yard. The grass was healthy, green, and thick--just like the rest of the yard. Surprisingly, the salt and chlorine had no observable negative effects.

The only time I've had a slight issue with grass is recently when I brought the pool to SLAM level to do an OCLT, then drained 12" (about 5,000 gallons) of high chlorine water to close the pool a day or two later. There is a swath of less green grass. I suspect it will be fine come spring. We splash a lot of saltwater out over our autocover dam wall routinely. It all drains to one spot in the yard - no noticeable effect except more growth. But again, cool-season grass, YMMV. Next year I'll do the OCLT earlier, let the FC drift down, drain, then chlorinate to SLAM level again to close so as not stress the grass so much.

Well I was speculating based on a post I cannot find right now from someone who said that he never had a SWG and at one point his pool started tasting salty so he checked the levels and there was a boatload of salt in his pool just from using BBB over the years. Probably a rarity. Hopefully my grass will live long and prosper!

I just started my pool experience this year. Maybe people are different in their taste of salt. Anything over 3500 ppm and it tastes like sweat to me. Not sure below that. And I haven't killed any grass. I wouldn't worry about the grass unless you are dumping a ton of super salty super chlorinated water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congrats on a finished pool. I am impressed that your pb finished. I really thought he was going to disappear and you would have to find someone to finish. From the pics, those benches do not look fictional. Are they? Maybe it's just the perspective. Love the pool and I am glad you shared it with us!

*Double snare tap....CYMBAL!*

I was going to do that! :) I came back to this thread just so I can read this line and chuckle. I just spent a very stressful weekend at the hospital with my 77 year old father following his knee replacement surgery. He doesn't do well with anesthesia - and after being probably one of the most disruptive patients on the floor last night (so much so they had to give him an anti-psychotic drug to calm him down) - I really wanted a good laugh. Thanks to Jimbo and Jay (with his engineer hat) and the TFP family - I am smiling once again. So Jimbo - keep up your clever unfiltered sayings - they're great. -Karen

I have zoysia grass around the pool. I need to get it to overtake the yard....
If you need the zoysia to overtake the yard, don't listen to the adages that it doesn't need water or to fertilize it only once a year. Water it & fertilize it plenty once the soil warms up and it'll spread like, well, crabgrass.

With little water & once a year fertilizing, it'll stay healthy, but won't spread much.

Just my experience here in Northern VA. YMMV. Good luck!

If you need the zoysia to overtake the yard, don't listen to the adages that it doesn't need water or to fertilize it only once a year. Water it & fertilize it plenty once the soil warms up and it'll spread like, well, crabgrass.

With little water & once a year fertilizing, it'll stay healthy, but won't spread much.

Just my experience here in Northern VA. YMMV. Good luck!

I'll give that a try when it greens back up. The previous owner plugged the yard with it some every year, so there are patches here and there that he worked on. I've never been a lawn geek, but that stuff makes me want more. :)

Ok. It's been just over 30 days since plaster and water. I'm getting ready to turn on the ic40 swg and intelliph automation.
Before introducing the salt to the water, does anyone see any problems doing so at this time? Water temp is low 60's. Levels are as follows,
Ph 7.5
Fc 5
Cc 0
Tc 5
Ch 225
Ta 80
Cya 50
Any thoughts about this one way or another?

Ok. It's been just over 30 days since plaster and water. I'm getting ready to turn on the ic40 swg and intelliph automation.
Before introducing the salt to the water, does anyone see any problems doing so at this time? Water temp is low 60's. Levels are as follows,
Ph 7.5
Fc 5
Cc 0
Tc 5
Ch 225
Ta 80
Cya 50
Any thoughts about this one way or another?

To me, you water is pretty much perfect. Especially since not much changes when its cold. I'm pretty sure the IC40 will shut off at 50 degrees, but my water never went under 55 degrees last year. My pool is about 20K gallons and I currently have my IC40 set at 20% for 6-1/2 hours pump run time per day. With the cold water, that keeps my TC at 7 - 8 ppm.

Personally, I would use the Pool Math to figure out how much salt you need, then hold back about 2 to 3 bags when you add the salt. Wait a week and measure your salt level. I used the pool Math and overshot my addition by about 400ppm. My salt level always seems to rise not get lower, so I haven't added any salt since the pool was first built.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.