1963 pool resurection

Oh, it looks so nice all full of water, and your daughter's smile makes it all so worth it! I hope you get to enjoy it before it gets too cold - at least the spa! That step tile is really nice against the white plaster too! How far you've come from a tree planter to this!

Thanks. Got final inspection signed off today. Still have to hook up heater to gas meter.
Brush and balance water then in a few weeks ic40 and intelliph.
Ok time to start programming automation. Got my screen logic 2 wired in just got to figure this stuff out.
Possibly have to flip the lense over in pool light to narrow mode. It was installed in wide mode which from reading the manual is set up for lights going from side to side rather than end to end.
More pictures to come...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok trying to get balanced here. Took some readings last night.
Ch 200
Ta 160
Ph 8+
Fc 0
Cc 0
Tc 0
Cya 0
Not too cool.
Dumped in about 1/2 gallon of predilluted muriatic acid and tossed a couple of 3" trichlor pucks in the skimmer.
Checked ph around an hour or so later, still off the charts. Did notice a greasy looking film on top of the water after dumping in ma/water solution which I poured in front of deep end return about arms length out.
Been brushing once or twice daily.
No noticeable increase in pressure on filter.
Slight rattling sound at heater. Cleaned a few rocks out of pump basket 2 days ago. Mostly leaves in skimmer. Not much.
Any thoughts, opinions on how to proceed?
Pb came 2 days after filling to brush, vacuum and dump in a gallon of chlorine. Coming back in a couple days for dummy cell. He recommended I get a wire brush to brush once a day and take water sample to Leslie's and follow their advice.
No thanks. Went in there last night to pick up some pucks and the dude tried to sell me the biggest bucket they had cause it was $5 off. Went to lowes instead.
Pump currently running on high 24/7 in service mode.

Get some MA from East Long Beach PS around the corner from you and get the pH below 8.0 Add enough acid to drop it from 8.0 to 7.6 and test every half hour and adjust as needed until it hits 7.6. Our tap pH isn't that high and it should come down fairly quick. Make sure you brush the area after adding acid.

You can go the puck route, use dichlor which will raise the CYA a little quicker, or add the CYA in a sock method and keep adding bleach.

Bleach is not necessary if you are using pucks.

The main thing is that you need a source of cya and chlorine to bring both up to your target levels.

It's either pucks or bleach and cya in a sock.

With pucks you are getting both cya and chlorine. Just make sure that you don't over shoot on the cya. It's very unlikely that you would, since your SWG should be up and running shortly and then you will stop using pucks.

Cool. Thanks.
I just have 2 pucks currently in the skimmer. Approximately how many should I buy? I won't likely ever use them again after start up.
Or would it be better to go the bleach and cya sock route to bring levels up a little quicker?
Anything else I should be doing?

Well once my cya is set and I switch to the swg and intelliph I should be set and fine to go away for a weekend with no worries other than automation problems or power outages.
Also I have 2 pool stores close enough that I can see them over my fence. Leslie's and an independent both just across the street.

You will always want to have a gallon or two or bleach on hand with your SWCG for the unexpected 'accident' whether it be 1 or 2 or, worst of all 1 1/2. Or a dead animal. You're SWCG won't be up to a quick increase like is needed to get you back swimming quickly. Or for an unexpected FC below your minimum because of increased chlorine demand over your current cell setting. Of course it's only around the corner but it's also only a few gallons too.

Yeah, I see your point with bleach. Noted.
Readings tonight after 24 hours of 2 pucks in skimmer and 2 gallons of 15% MA from lowes.
Ch 150
Ta 140
Ph 8+ but dropping
Fc .5
Cc .5
Tc 1
Cya 0 black dot visible the whole time all the way to the top no sign of disappearing.
Tests were taken at night so maybe not 100% accurate.
Will pick up some higher percentage ma and dichlor pucks tomorrow at the local independent pool store along with some bleach to keep on hand.
Ping I'm reading 8+ on the ph straight out of the tap. Still trying to bring it down. Should be able to do it tomorrow. 2 gallons of ma has just barely lightened up enough to notice but not even enough for the highest reading. Hoping to see some changes from the pucks soon too. Or should I just go cya sock and bleach? Wouldn't it be better to bring it up a little faster? Or should I just relax and let it happen? I don't mind chilling just don't want to blow it waiting too long for changes.
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.