1963 pool resurection

Thanks melt. Any potential root damage from either? Better in pots or inground?
I was sorta thinking about banana in ground with landscape lighting and maybe a couple of BOP in pots.
There's actually not a whole lot of space around the pool but would like something to break up that big white wall.

Nope. No fruit.

The sago palm (the smaller one with the blue arrow) can be potted.

The queen palms look nice with a little accent flood lighting pointed at them. I have some 35W equivalent LED landscape lighting pointed up at them. They look awesome at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good sunny. How old are they? Don't those queen palms get mighty tall? How about the sago?
I only have about 5' from the water line to the wall so cut outs in deck would likely be semi circle 18-24" or so to allow room to walk around the perimeter.

The QPs are only a year or so old. Yes they can get big but I'll probably rip them out and replant before they get too big.

The SPs are nice, really low maintenance and low water use plants.

You don't have a lot of space for anything that would grow into a tree and you want to be really careful with plant roots. I've seen PVC ripped to shreds by plant roots looking for water.

The BOPs are nice but the flowers look ugly when they die back so you have a little bit if trimming maintenance there. They can get pretty bushy so you'll want to keep them well trimmed.

I'd look for evergreens or succulents that stay small and are low water use. Travel to a few local nurseries and tell them your limitations and I'm sure they can help you find some great accent plants.

You could also consider some climbing vines as well but then you'll have to give them wall anchors and wiring to grow along.

If you do the cut-outs and mark the areas before they pour, will you be putting in 3-1/2" PVC sleeves (drainage pipe) so you can run electrical and irrigation to the cut-out?

Having buried sleeves under the concrete makes it really easy to do electrical and water upgrades later on. Just bury them with the ends taped off (bright red duck tape helps) and then you can dig to find them later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I plan to run pipes now before deck which is why I'm looking into it now rather than later.

Cool! I wasn't sure based on what I read in your earlier posts.

How about an irrigation box with valves and a digital controller (X-Core is pretty standard)?

As you can tell, I'm big into landscape automation....now if I could only find ways to automate the trees from dropping leaves and needles everywhere ;)

Sunny, the BOP here is different than BOP in Los Angeles...stupid, huh? That's why we should all know our latin and use botanical names :shock: :whip:

So... :)
Strelitzia reginae (Bird of Paradise) is a short (<5') many-stemmed plant with gorgeous orange+blue bird-shaped flowers
Strelitzia nicolai (Bird of Paradise) is a tall (up to 20' or so) single stemmed plant with big white+blue bird-shaped flowers. Looks not unlike a palm.
Both Strelitzia species do very well in LA and would probably work well between your pool and wall. Neither are messy, though S. nicolai can drip some sticky goop out of the flowers.

Meanwhile, Caesalpinia pulcherimma (Bird of Paradise :roll:) is what we have here in Tucson. Big shrub with brilliant orange-red flowers, which requires yearly pruning to keep under control and looking nice. It would be a beautiful mess near a pool!

I have two free stations on my irrigation system for the poolside.
Valves will be inside the fence around equipment pad. Landscape lighting can be controlled by easy touch.

- - - Updated - - -

Strelitzia reginae (Bird of Paradise) is the one I was thinking of. Thanks for the lesson.

Even if you run pipes now, I'd still put them inside a big pipe so they can be pulled and repaired without too much fuss. 3.5" PVC is good, I like the big black ABS pipe for toilet drains, I think it's 4"? You can fit a bunch of stuff in there. I'm not a code expert but I'm pretty sure you need different trenches/conduit for wires vs. pipes.

I never refer to C. pulcherimma as a BOP. I've only ever called that a Mexican BOP or, how most people refer to it, a "red bird". And I have two in my front yard far, far away from the pool ;)

But yes, there are significant regional plant differences and variations which is also why I suggested local nurseries. You'll get the most help in selecting a local species that will thrive well in your area when you use a local plant nursery.

Sounds like you've got your landscaping all set. Post pics when the plants are in. It will be nice to see.

What do you guys think about the landscape lighting behind the plants? In between plant and wall?
My wall is barely over 5' from the edge of pool and doubt it will pass inspection otherwise.
Good idea or bad?
I know I will have to control size of whatever plants I use to get any real value from the lighting and also not block off walkway

What do you guys think about the landscape lighting behind the plants? In between plant and wall?
My wall is barely over 5' from the edge of pool and doubt it will pass inspection otherwise.
Good idea or bad?
I know I will have to control size of whatever plants I use to get any real value from the lighting and also not block off walkway

Code Question - I have a brick wall behind my pool. There is no code restriction on distance to pool, only on height of wall. I had to raise up a short section of it by one additional fence-block. What's your code restriction?

As for lighting, please go with LEDs. Way cheaper and more energy efficient such that you can run many more LEDs off one 300W landscape transformer than you can with incandescent.

Find a good landscape lighting supplier near you for ideas. In Phoenix (north of me by 2 hours or so) Louie Lighting has lots of my Sollos landscape lighting. You can do lots of stuff that bolts to a tree or even fixtures that can be buried into your decking.

Tons of options out there which is why you should find a store that specializes or look for a landscaping wholesale distributor for ideas.

Get a 300W low voltage transformer with disk-till-dawn photo sensor so that your landscape lighting turns on and off auto-magically.

Is your code question about wall height or walkway?
Neither is an issue code wise. I'm referring to waterline to electrical code 5'.
I am planning on using about 5 pentair intellibrite landscape lights that will sync up with the intellibrite pool lights through the easy touch. They are color changing led lights.
I plan using a pool rated transformer for those as well as the 12 v pool and spa lights.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.