1963 pool resurection

Yes. That's what I was thinking too.
I slightly modified the diagram you showed me (by changing to one 3")and gave it to him yesterday. He said no one has ever done that before.
I guess people just take whatever they get.
I did forget to add for the solar and I guess I need to add some valves and a "T" also.
Then I guess it's on to the equipment pad layout. Looks like I'm gonna have to take that into my own hands too.

I slightly modified the diagram you showed me (by changing to one 3")and gave it to him yesterday. He said no one has ever done that before.
Your PB needs to spend more time on pool forums so he can learn how to plumb a pool properly. ;)

Just curious though, why did he choose the single 3" over the dual 2 1/2"?

Cool. That's how we all do things usually. Just keep doing it the way we always have until someone brings up another way. If you are open minded, you accept the better way, and go with it. If you are closed minded, you act like the person has two heads and it makes no sense at all. Those are idiots, and will hopefully soon be out of business. If your PB embraces the math, he may greatly improve his building business. This may have been the greatest gift you could give him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We talked about that. He says he is ok with trying something new. I told him, you are going to learn something here either way, either a better way to do it or how not to do it again. Either way now at least you will have some experience with this way so you can make an educated statement on why or why not to do it like this.
He seems cool with that.

I just wanted to mention too that when the PB is plumbing the spa, he can use 2 1/2" after he does the first split from the 3". Just downsize after the TEE. That way he can use 2 1/2" in the spa wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know. Making excuses I guess. The builder keeps referring to a plumber friend who knows plumbing and orders parts for him but he is not the guy who does the actual work. So I am really just dealing with too many people and am getting tired of having to explain to each one what is going on. Something pb should doing in my opinion.
But if you want something done right ...

Here's what he's got going so far...
image.jpg
image.jpg
They'll be back next week after the holiday.
I know these pics came out sideways for some reason but if you look in the trench you will see a "T" fitting. I spent the day explaining to them how every pipe should come all the way to the pad with a valve on each pipe. They said ok. As soon as they left, I found this. ***?
I asked him if they even have a layout for the equipment pad and he was like oh, yeah. There is no way he does. Frustration is really kicking in.

Yes. We are putting valves on everything that comes up into the pad. or, I should say, I am asking for it that way but there seems to be a communication gap because he agrees to something and it still doesn't get done. he tells me pipe is cheap. then he tells me, its easy to move it. I told him its really just so much easier if you have a plan. a drawing. a layout of the friggin equipment pad so they know where to run the pipe in the first place. I don't want them to move the pipes later. that means cutting and adding couplings unnecessarily which is just bad practice in a new install to have couplings for no good reason. each one is a potential leak point. you want to have as few as possible.

It wasn't what he had in mind when he took this job but only because he apparently didn't pay attention to what we talked about.
He is being cool about it. I just have to make sure nothing gets left out.

I made the above statement last night trying to rationalize this but the more I think about it. something needs to get done. I might have to stop work until we can agree on a pad layout. if you look at the photo it looks to me like the pipes will be coming up behind the equipment. I am confused. I really want to call him but will wait until after the holiday. frustrating.

Last edited:
ok. now I am looking for a little help or advice on designing a pad layout to give the builder to avoid any more issues. does anyone know of a simple tool for design/layout that I could use?
I could and probably will just hand draw like I did for the plumbing (without actual layout of equipment and placement)
pool/spa combo.
easy touch 4 w/ ic40 swg. intelliph acid dispenser. raypak 400k gas heater. ccp 420 cartridge filter. intelliflo 3hp variable speed pump. solar. one 2" drain line to sewer after pump for draining pool. one 3" to spa split main drain. one 3" to spa jets with partial bypass of heater.(so water will still be partially heated but not forced through filter and heater) one 2" line to skimmer. one 2" line to pool split main drains. one 2" solar out. one 2" solar back in. three separately run 2" to pad for pool returns. one 3/4" for electrical feed for easy touch. one 1" line for low voltage wiring for easy touch and possible sprinkler controls and speaker wire in. one 1/2" low voltage line out to landscape lighting and possibly speaker wire. one 1/2" line to spaside remote. one 1/2" to spa light. one 1/2" to pool light. one 1/2" waterline for hose bib, auto fill and sprinklers. oh and one more pipe for auto fill I guess. (not sure what size) one 2" line for air to spa?
if anybody could help me out here it would be greatly appreciated. space is not a big issue as I can expand the width but not the depth so much. these guys obviously have no plan so I guess its up to me to do the planning and layout so everything makes sense in the end.
thanks everyone, you have all been key players on this one to help me get this done right. more appreciated than you could possibly know.:salut::lovetfp::cheers:

Normally, the installer likes to wing it because no matter how well you design the layout, it will be dictated by some more practical aspects such as where the pipes are coming out of the ground and the easiest way the installer thinks it needs to go together. So even if you do a design, it is unlikely to be followed exactly anyway. The best thing to do is watch them do it and interject if you don't like something. Many times the biggest issue is the equipment is crammed together with little room between major components which makes servicing difficult.

Make sure there is enough room behind back of the pump motor so you can remove the motor from the wet end. There will be a time when you need to do this. 6" should be enough but more is better.

Also, make sure the pump basket lid does not have any plumbing going over it or too close to it so that it makes it difficult to remove.

Next, makes sure the filter is easily accessible for cleaning. usually, It is installed at one end of the equipment so you can easily reach it.

The heater should be installed at the other end again enough clearance for servicing.

I agree mark. However, since they are installing the pipes now they can place them on the pad anyway they like. Which should make everything easier for them to have a plan rather than harder.
Just a thought.
as an electrician, I always plan out my pipe runs ahead of time so I can make sure I have enough room and the pipes are not obstructed by each other when they branch off to their final destinations. saves an awful lot of headaches down the road. a little bit of planning goes a long way and saves a lot of time in the long run. of course sometimes things are added later and you have to improvise...
should I just lighten up and let them do their job? hope that they make it all come together in the end? I do trust the pb. but beginning to wonder if I fully can. seems like quite of bit of information is getting lost in translation. I was always taught and teach others to work smarter not harder.

The way I would approach it is to ask them for a pad plan so you can review it. It gives them the freedom of design and gets them thinking ahead of time plus it allows you the power of veto.

One of the biggest issues I have with most PBs is they really don't do drawings much and they are really helpful to the PO when visualizing what is going to be done. But then again, most POs probably don't care.

Do you have a payment coming up before the pad is installed? Make it conditional on the delivery of the design.

Also, tell them that you are not like every other PO, you are informed and care about how the plumbing is designed and if they don't like it, too bad, you are the boss, not them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.