Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Requirements for Solar

1. Back To Top    #1

Requirements for Solar

I'd like to put in Solar heating sometime and think I have the roof space for it, but the back side of my house is the north side. So you really need the panels facing south for them to work well?
    ----------------------
    20,500 gal gunite pool w/ PebbleTec and infloor cleaning system.
    Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter.
    Houston, TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Requirements for Solar

Yes. Most solar installers will tell you not to put panels on the North facing roof. Its just a waste of money.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere, in which case it's the other way around. I remember staying in a B and B in New Zealand that had been built by European immigrants about a century ago. They had put in all these big windows on the south to catch the sun. Didn't work out so well.
    15K gal IG gunite, IntelliPro VS3050 variable-speed pump, Jandy CV580 (580 sq ft) cartridge filter
    IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, SunTouch solar-only control system
    Polaris PB4 booster pump, Polaris 280 pool cleaner
    1 skimmer, 3 eyeballs, 256 sq ft solar panels
    Taylor K-2006 test kit, Filled for first time August 8, 2008

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm
    Unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere, in which case it's the other way around. I remember staying in a B and B in New Zealand that had been built by European immigrants about a century ago. They had put in all these big windows on the south to catch the sun. Didn't work out so well.
    Is that a joke? It seems like they would have figured out which way the sun was shining by the time the got the place built.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by lborne
    Yes. Most solar installers will tell you not to put panels on the North facing roof. Its just a waste of money.
    It won't help on the edges of the season, but during the peak of the summer, the north face of my roof is more directly aligned with the sun than the south face. Depending on where you live, due to magnetic declination, North can be almost "Northwest", which gets some sun in the afternoon and evening.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat