Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding stabilizer

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding stabilizer

We need to add stabilizer but, following the directions on the container is difficult. It says to add to the skimmer with the pump running. I will assume that most skimmers lead to the filter. Our plumbing is constructed different.

Pump one: Skimmer to pump to PCC2000 Valve to infloor cleaner rotating jets.
    Pump two: Main drain to debris basket to pump to filter to 3 wall returns (downjets) and two fixed infloor jets.

Question is: Where is the best place to add stabilizer?

Right now, I am thinking of adding it to the debris basket to flow to the filter.

Looking for advice or opinions. Thanks!
    16K gallon, Pebble tec, beach entry. Two 1 hp Pentair Whisperflos. One for Paramount MDX2 main drain, Paramount debris canister, and Pentair CCP 520 filter. One for skimmer w/sock and Paramount PCC2000 in floor cleaner. 3/4 hp Pentair Pinnacle for waterfall. Fiberstars fiber optic pool lighting. Aqua-Logic AQL-P-4 control panel with wired remote in the house. SWCG system that is not used. Ultra-Pure Ozonator that is not used.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding stabilizer

I would put the stabilizer in a sock or stocking and put that in the skimmer. By the time it gets out of the sock it will either be dissolved or in particles small enough to pass through the system without problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I know what you are thinking. "A sock?" Yes, a tube sock, gym sock, old dress sock, any will do.

Put the CYA in it and tie a knot, then you set it to the side in the skimmer so it doesn't block the flow of water.

The other option is to tie it off with a string in front of the return flow of water. Whichever place the flow is stronger so it will dissolve quicker. Then you don't retest for it for 5-7 days as it takes that long to register on tests.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like a good idea to me! Makes some sense too. Now, where to find a sock.
    Thanks for the help!
    16K gallon, Pebble tec, beach entry. Two 1 hp Pentair Whisperflos. One for Paramount MDX2 main drain, Paramount debris canister, and Pentair CCP 520 filter. One for skimmer w/sock and Paramount PCC2000 in floor cleaner. 3/4 hp Pentair Pinnacle for waterfall. Fiberstars fiber optic pool lighting. Aqua-Logic AQL-P-4 control panel with wired remote in the house. SWCG system that is not used. Ultra-Pure Ozonator that is not used.