Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: cleaning scum ring

cleaning scum ring

i was just curious at to what different people use to clean pool scum
    ring and how effective it is.
    24,000 gallon ig fiberglass pool
    1 hp hayward pump
    hayward sand filter (250 lb)
    madisonville, ky

Re: cleaning scum ring

I've always just used pH up or baking soda paste on a green kitchen double sided sponge to remove oils and scum at the waterline
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

I use tile soap. If there is any scale I mix it with muriatic acid.

I use Pool and Tile Cleaner from Leslies.
    Matt
    20,000 gallon, sand filter, IG vinyl

I get in the pool and use my hand to rub the ring. If it is really stubborn we have a soft nylon pad that was made to clean our ceramic cook top that we use and the ring come right off. I have a fiberglass pool and the surface is very smooth.
    In ground 15 X 33 10,400 gal. Fiberglass
    Two Returns, Two main drains, One skimmer
    Aqua Logic SWG, Hayward TriStar 1.5HP
    Hayward C3025 (325 sq /ft) Cartirdge Filter
    Solar Heater (Details at http://www.bakerlabs.com/solar)

Hey guys, I ran across this post in trying to deal with the same problem and was on my way to the pool store to get some tile/vinyl cleanser when my wife suggested trying Magic Eraser. She had used it for removing scuff marks and other uncleanables when we moved.

It was literally amazing. In less than 10 seconds I was able to clean a small area from dark grey to like-new. I took the plunge and cleaned about 50 linear feet of scummy poolside in about 15 minutes - no exaggeration - with very little elbow grease. Incredible. Here's a link to Magic Eraser - I strongly recommend it for fast cleanup of pool ring and scum.
    16ft x 32ft depth 3ft to 8ft rectangle inground pool vinyl liner 21000gal. , 3/4hp pump/w 200lb sand filter and erosion feeder using 3in. trichlor tablets

I was going to try the magic eraser also, but it says do not use with chlorine bleach!
    18x33 above ground pool, vinyl liner, starbright DE filter, 1.5 HP Dynamo pump

The magic eraser is fine for use with a swimming pool. The chlorine concentration is the pool water is way way lower then in straight bleach, so the avoid bleach rule doesn't apply.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

I use a microfibre cloth and clean each tile by hand from inside the pool
    They get so much gunk off sometime I need to use several.

It Works very well and it quite gentle on the tile, at the same time I stay on top of it so it doesnt get too bad to start with.

Heavy bather loads all using sunblock are the gunk builders for me.

Uncle Dave
    20K Gallon Gunnite pool/900 Gallon in ground Spa/2HP Whisperflow Spa boost pump
    Pentair Master temp 400/Pentair Quad DE 60/Jandy RS-8 Aqualink/Jandy 2HP Epump (formerly 1HP whisperflow)
    12 - 4x10 Solar Panels/ Goldline Chlorinator/Barracuda G4
    Polaris LCS Leaf Canister skimmer/Pool Devil Pro/Poolskim

Just wanted to add my voice to the Magic Eraser method - just tried it and it worked perfectly. I would not call it abrasive at all and my 15 year old daughter went around the whole pool in about 15 minutes!
    21K Gal Vinyl In Ground with block wall sides (Self Built with help), Pentair Easy Touch controller, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Intellichlor salt system, Clean and Clear Plus filter, SR Smith Typhoon Slide