Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer weir and float valve questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer weir and float valve questions

We are purchasing a home with an IG pool that is empty and needs minor repairs. It has a pcc2000 in floor cleaning system, mdx debris system, waterfall.
    We are moving from a home with a pool which I have done all the maintenance and chems. Has basic pump, skimmer, suction cleaner equipment. Hayward.

New home pool has Pentair and paramount equipment. 2 whisperflow pumps for filter and cleaner, pinnacle for WF.

The skimmer weir is missing. I did find a float valve that should go in the skimmer. (not in the skimmer when I found it) My research determined that the skimmer float valve works only when the water level becomes too low. (below skimmer inlet). Old pool did not have/need.

Questions.
    Is a weir always needed in a skimmer? Or, are there circumstances where it is removed?
    Is there other uses for a skimmer float valve than preventing air suction in a low water situation? (Such as weir)

The new pool has an auto fill. I can't find a reason for the skimmer float valve being needed or a weir not being needed.

Thanks for any info!
    16K gallon, Pebble tec, beach entry. Two 1 hp Pentair Whisperflos. One for Paramount MDX2 main drain, Paramount debris canister, and Pentair CCP 520 filter. One for skimmer w/sock and Paramount PCC2000 in floor cleaner. 3/4 hp Pentair Pinnacle for waterfall. Fiberstars fiber optic pool lighting. Aqua-Logic AQL-P-4 control panel with wired remote in the house. SWCG system that is not used. Ultra-Pure Ozonator that is not used.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer weir and float valve questions

I don't have a wier (long story). Too lazy to look for appropriate skimmer parts (but I'm on a mission this year). The skimmer just doesn't "skim" the bugs/crud as well as it should.

Can't advise on the float.

Welcome to TFP
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

I have an auto fill and it does use a float valve. Its removed for winterizing.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNJ
    I have an auto fill and it does use a float valve. Its removed for winterizing.
    Is your float valve in the auto fill or in the skimmer? There is a float valve in the skimmer to protect from low water. Switches flow from weir to main drain if water level gets below skimmer inlet.
    16K gallon, Pebble tec, beach entry. Two 1 hp Pentair Whisperflos. One for Paramount MDX2 main drain, Paramount debris canister, and Pentair CCP 520 filter. One for skimmer w/sock and Paramount PCC2000 in floor cleaner. 3/4 hp Pentair Pinnacle for waterfall. Fiberstars fiber optic pool lighting. Aqua-Logic AQL-P-4 control panel with wired remote in the house. SWCG system that is not used. Ultra-Pure Ozonator that is not used.

5. Back To Top    #5

I re-read my post and found that it could be mis-interpreted. I edited it to make it clearer. Sorry for any problems. Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

My float valve is in the auto fill. You set the height of it to the desired level you want the water to be. My skimmers are not connected to my main drains. The one in the auto fill is a toilet bowl float.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/