$140,000 Quote for an amazing pool- Is this reasonable?

So basically that vanishing edge is going to be a majority of the cost in hour build. You can't really get away from the costs if that is the feature you want. We asked about a vanishing edge when we first started with quotes and we were told it would be about $1100 per linear foot. That pretty much stopped our inquiry for that kind of feature in its tracks.

That makes sense because using the $1100 per linear foot equals approx $40k for the vanishing edge. Yikes!

- - - Updated - - -

For some reason I don't think this would be the bid out in West Covina.

You need to get another bid (two would be better). It won't be exactly the same but it will be close and you can have some bargaining power.

Poll pricing varies a great deal across the US and even within the LA Orange market. Amy of the items that are extras in your bid would be in the base pool in Sacramento.

But what the heck is "Plumbing, grate, pump, gravel for overflow effect on pool $41,000.00" ???

Are we installing a fiberglass spa inside the gunite pool?

Thank you for your help. I think you are correct in that I should get another bid. Plumbing, grate, pump, gravel, etc for $41k is for the overflow affect. The raised bond beam will have a slight overfill of water creating a waterfall effect. The water needs to go into a drain that will be covered with mexican stones. The spa is acrylic but I included the cost of the spa as if it was not and just standard. The acrylic adds about a $30k cost to the the spa and I am told there is about $1800 in profit for the pool builder. Thoughts?

This is one of those cases where different people are going to see different things, or even the same person will see different things depending on their state of mind.

To me as a person off the street I see it as a wonderful artistic statement, and certainly an impressive lawn decoration.

As a pool owner I see it as a nice lounging spa, with a nice cool off plunge attached.

As a pool owner that maintains his own pool, I look at that pool and still think its nice, but also thank god I don't have to maintain it, I see a massive infinity edge which will aerate the water causing pH drift, a gravel bed that will likely grow algae if circulation is not perfect, and a pool shape that would be nearly impossible to cover with an auto-cover.

Ike

We don't see a lot of truly high end pools here. One a while back that we didn't get to see through to completion, the South Texas beauty and this one. Oh, and the suspended one now going on. So it s tough for most to have an idea on this type of pool. That and the wide range of pricing anyway. That said, it certainly doesn't seem ridiculous to me.

I agree with a lot of the previous post on different views of the endeavor. And would add that truly artistic pieces of work are seldom also built to be paradigms of efficiency and functionality. Just the nature of he beast. Can't wait to watch if you'll have us along.

Aqua Connect PS8 Computer Control System $4,200.00
What are you getting for $4,200?
It lists AquaLogic and AquaRite, why both?
Did the builder offer the OmniLogic?

Plumbing, grate, pump, gravel for overflow effect on pool $41,000.00
That seems high. What pump for the infinity edge?

Overall, I think that you have some room to negotiate.

This is one of those cases where different people are going to see different things, or even the same person will see different things depending on their state of mind.

To me as a person off the street I see it as a wonderful artistic statement, and certainly an impressive lawn decoration.

As a pool owner I see it as a nice lounging spa, with a nice cool off plunge attached.

As a pool owner that maintains his own pool, I look at that pool and still think its nice, but also thank god I don't have to maintain it, I see a massive infinity edge which will aerate the water causing pH drift, a gravel bed that will likely grow algae if circulation is not perfect, and a pool shape that would be nearly impossible to cover with an auto-cover.

Ike

I appreciate these thoughts. Fortunately my wife is a microbiologist and she is totally fine with maintaining the pH balance/algae. We do plan to hire a pool maintenance service as well.

We don't see a lot of truly high end pools here. One a while back that we didn't get to see through to completion, the South Texas beauty and this one. Oh, and the suspended one now going on. So it s tough for most to have an idea on this type of pool. That and the wide range of pricing anyway. That said, it certainly doesn't seem ridiculous to me.

I agree with a lot of the previous post on different views of the endeavor. And would add that truly artistic pieces of work are seldom also built to be paradigms of efficiency and functionality. Just the nature of he beast. Can't wait to watch if you'll have us along.

Thank you for your feedback. It's nice to hear that the quote doesn't seem ridiculous. The builder is also providing landscape/hardscape for a courtyard area and the front of the house. The total project is just over $300k and he told me there is about $30k in profit for them. So far I trust them 99% so I believe them when they say this. I like the idea of sharing the build with this site and hopefully will get some pointers on the way. I'm a big believer in giving back to sites that have helped me (ie tripadvisor, yelp) and I will do the same here, thank you.

Aqua Connect PS8 Computer Control System $4,200.00
What are you getting for $4,200?
It lists AquaLogic and AquaRite, why both?
Did the builder offer the OmniLogic?

Plumbing, grate, pump, gravel for overflow effect on pool $41,000.00
That seems high. What pump for the infinity edge?

Overall, I think that you have some room to negotiate.

I was told the following: "The Omni logic is my first choice if the units have had the bugs worked out that we were experiencing when they first came out this year. Basically, when ether net cable is available, they work great, but we were having trouble with the wireless when ether net was not an option. As far as the pumps, I think we'll go all Variable speed, both for the circulation pump and for the infinity edge."

Someone on a prior thread here mentioned they were told $1100 per linear foot for a vanishing edge and that's about exactly what I am paying. May I ask why you feel it seems on the high side. Also, I just responded to someone else just moments ago stating that the $300k project Iincl other areas of the home) supposedly only has $30k in profit (so far I have been given no reason to distrust them but of course I never believe 100%).

Any other thoughts or questions I should ask the builder? Thanks!!!

- - - Updated - - -

This is just St my opinion, but I suspect there is actually about 10-12% of wiggle in there to negotiate. What you need is a $120k quote from builder B to get your ideal builder down. ��

I will definitely get another quote, thank you for the suggestion.

There are a lot of details that only someone on site can evaluate. Multiple proposals can help you determine value. Ultimately, it's up to you to determine if what's being proposed is worth it to you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice that the wife will be able to help with the water balance! It is going to oh so important on your pool with that pretty tile and the spa!

I read that you will also have a pool service. What will you expect the pool service to do? I know that most of them just throw pucks in the inline chlorinator and call it good until next week.

One of the main things with TFP is teaching people how to take care of their own pools. We have our own test kits and use the levels that have been developed using science and everyday use. It sounds like your wife may be able to handle the water testing at work BUT it would be much easier if you had a test kit at home. You can look in my siggy to find the one we use. Just an idea to keep that wonderful looking awesome for quite a long time!

Kim

It's hard for me to believe that they are only making 30,000 on a 300000 job. What if things go wrong and He he has to spend an extra 15000. That would mean he only makes $15000 on the job. In my area landscapers try to make over $10000 on a $30000 job. Call me skeptical, but I think he is making at least 60000.

If your wife will be handling the chemical balance for the pool I would urge her to spend some time here reading BEFORE making any final decisions on the pool (see the pool school link in the upper right of this page as a good place to start). There may be some seemingly minor things that can have big side effects on ease of pool care that are much easier to address before they are buried under concrete. It is all too common that we see people here with build threads that get so caught up in LED lights, and automation systems that they miss details like skimmer placement when considering prevailing wind patterns, or water flow issues leaving dead spots where chlorine levels drop too low and allow algae to grow (this also applies to nooks in pool finish, steps, etc.). As to your comment on hiring a pool service, you will find that in general we do not hold them in very high regard, it is really not entirely their fault, most people are not willing to pay for the level of service a pool really needs to be properly balanced, so they instead end up with a pool service that visits once per week which leads to wild swings in chemical levels, and lots of tricks to make it that long between adding chemicals. In addition many pool services have poorly trained technicians that don't know why they do what they do, and many skip proper water testing, or do it so sloppily that they might as well skip it. Instead at a minimum a pool needs 5-10 minutes of attention about 3 times per week once it is up and going, and daily attention for the first month or two after starting with fresh plaster, and those logistics just don't work for your typical pool service company when you consider travel time, etc. You may think your pool builder should catch these things, but the truth is most pool builders have little knowledge about maintaining and living with a pool long term, and these issues never occur to them as they never see the recurring issues that develop 1, 2, or 5 years down the road.

Wow that is an ULTRA PREMIUM looking pool & spa. Never seen anything like it....I mean...it doesn't get any more "high end" than that.

Not surprised it costs more, but as others have said, get at least one if not two competing bids to
see.

It's hard for me to believe that they are only making 30,000 on a 300000 job. What if things go wrong and He he has to spend an extra 15000. That would mean he only makes $15000 on the job. In my area landscapers try to make over $10000 on a $30000 job. Call me skeptical, but I think he is making at least 60000.

naw bro, around here it's about $3K profit on a $50K pool

Nice that the wife will be able to help with the water balance! It is going to oh so important on your pool with that pretty tile and the spa!

I read that you will also have a pool service. What will you expect the pool service to do? I know that most of them just throw pucks in the inline chlorinator and call it good until next week.

One of the main things with TFP is teaching people how to take care of their own pools. We have our own test kits and use the levels that have been developed using science and everyday use. It sounds like your wife may be able to handle the water testing at work BUT it would be much easier if you had a test kit at home. You can look in my siggy to find the one we use. Just an idea to keep that wonderful looking awesome for quite a long time!

Kim

Thanks! We will definitely look into this. Knowing how particular my wife and me are, we will likely just do this ourselves. We will definitely review this and thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

If your wife will be handling the chemical balance for the pool I would urge her to spend some time here reading BEFORE making any final decisions on the pool (see the pool school link in the upper right of this page as a good place to start). There may be some seemingly minor things that can have big side effects on ease of pool care that are much easier to address before they are buried under concrete. It is all too common that we see people here with build threads that get so caught up in LED lights, and automation systems that they miss details like skimmer placement when considering prevailing wind patterns, or water flow issues leaving dead spots where chlorine levels drop too low and allow algae to grow (this also applies to nooks in pool finish, steps, etc.). As to your comment on hiring a pool service, you will find that in general we do not hold them in very high regard, it is really not entirely their fault, most people are not willing to pay for the level of service a pool really needs to be properly balanced, so they instead end up with a pool service that visits once per week which leads to wild swings in chemical levels, and lots of tricks to make it that long between adding chemicals. In addition many pool services have poorly trained technicians that don't know why they do what they do, and many skip proper water testing, or do it so sloppily that they might as well skip it. Instead at a minimum a pool needs 5-10 minutes of attention about 3 times per week once it is up and going, and daily attention for the first month or two after starting with fresh plaster, and those logistics just don't work for your typical pool service company when you consider travel time, etc. You may think your pool builder should catch these things, but the truth is most pool builders have little knowledge about maintaining and living with a pool long term, and these issues never occur to them as they never see the recurring issues that develop 1, 2, or 5 years down the road.

VERY helpful, thanks. We will likely just do it ourselves. Our personality type is such that we prefer doing it the right way ourselves vs the easy way out and having pool issues. I will keep posting as the pool is built for ideas and help. This website and the people here are really fantastic!

- - - Updated - - -

naw bro, around here it's about $3K profit on a $50K pool

Good to hear that what I am told is reasonable. The pool sales person is a pastor at a church so that definitely gives him some credibility when we are talking about their profit on the job. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Richie Rich post was updated today. Check it out. Its titled who is building and how much

Will do, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

What has only been alluded to in one post is the location: SoCal. This is beyond SoCal, it's Newport Beach.

Yeah that's why I wanted to make sure the the prices were reasonable. We always hear stories of people charging more as a result of the zip code! Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.