$139 for 65% vs $349 for 70% vs $264 for 68%

Lucky13F

Jun 9, 2020
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I obviously want to save some $ -- not sure how much 2-5% difference compares to the massive difference in price
Reviews of all state the obvious "Might need a little extra but for the price? etc"
I need the chemicals but I am on a budget these days [while in between jobs unfortunately] and the kids don't really care - they want a blue pool
I want a lot of chemicals in a larger and longer term purchase than 1 pound bags.
Not sure if I'm allowed to list the names - so [used brackets]

Can you guys please recommend?
Thanks so much in advance.

Option 1:
[Store Name Brand] - Power Powder Granular 70% Calcium Hypochlorite Pool Shock - 50 lbs.
*Ingredients on Package State: "70%"
**Price: $349 for 50 lbs
vs
Option 2:
[3rd Party Brand] - Calcium Hypochlorite Pool Shock, 55 lbs
*Ingredients on Package State: "Min 65%"
**Price: $139 for 55 lbs
vs
Option 3:
[Different 3rd Paryy Brand] Shock – 68% Cal-Hypo Granular Sanitizer for Crystal Clear Water – Defends Against Bacteria, Algae, and Microorganisms - 50 Pounds
*Ingredients on Package State: "68%"
**Price: $264 for 50 lbs

I obviously want to save some $ -- not sure how much 2-5% difference compares to the massive difference in price
Reviews of all state the obvious "Might need a little extra but for the price? etc"
I need the chemicals but I am on a budget these days [while in between jobs unfortunately] and the kids don't really care - they want a blue pool
I want a lot of chemicals in a larger and longer term purchase than 1 pound bags.
Not sure if I'm allowed to list the names - so [used brackets]

Can you guys please recommend?
Thanks so much in advance.

Option 1:
[Store Name Brand] - Power Powder Granular 70% Calcium Hypochlorite Pool Shock - 50 lbs.
*Ingredients on Package State: "70%"
**Price: $349 for 50 lbs
vs
Option 2:
[3rd Party Brand] - Calcium Hypochlorite Pool Shock, 55 lbs
*Ingredients on Package State: "Min 65%"
**Price: $139 for 55 lbs
vs
Option 3:
[Different 3rd Paryy Brand] Shock – 68% Cal-Hypo Granular Sanitizer for Crystal Clear Water – Defends Against Bacteria, Algae, and Microorganisms - 50 Pounds
*Ingredients on Package State: "68%"
**Price: $264 for 50 lbs
The cheapest one is the better deal as long as your pool can accomodate increasing the CH by ~150ppm. Once the CH builds up it will cause problems like CYA.

55lbs of 65% calhypo adds 212FC ( and 150CH)
50lbs of 70% adds 217FC (and 168ppm CH)

divide the $139 by 212FC and get $0.65/FC
divide the $350 by 217FC and get $1.61/FC

Reactions: Donldson