Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: dry acid or muratic acid

1. Back To Top    #1

dry acid or muratic acid

I have HIGH PH, I need to add dry acid or muratic acid. what in the grocery store is ok to use that has these in it.
    I need dry acid or muratic acid
    is there a name brand to use?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: dry acid or muratic acid

Neither dry acid or muriatic acid is available in the grocery store. However, muriatic acid is available at almost any hardware store. The brand doesn't matter, it will be labeled as muriatic acid. Ideally, you want 31.45%, also called 20 Baume, strength. Some stores sell lower strengths, which will work but you need proportionally more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply. what is it used for so I will know what isle to go down.

4. Back To Top    #4

I found mine in the paint section, at home depot, and lowes.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks y'all are the best
    Dan

6. Back To Top    #6

Muriatic acid is used for cleaning concrete and masonry, either to get them clean, or to remove mineral deposits, or as a prep for painting, and in swimming pools. At Home Depot I have seen it in the pool department, paint department, concrete department, and outside in the garden center (presumably because of the fumes when you spill some).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I am going to get some tonight. Then I will be on the hunt to figgure out how many gallons to put in .

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by THETOOLMAN
    I am going to get some tonight. Then I will be on the hunt to figgure out how many gallons to put in .
    Use the Pool Calculator.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Neither dry acid or muriatic acid is available in the grocery store. However, muriatic acid is available at almost any hardware store. The brand doesn't matter, it will be labeled as muriatic acid. Ideally, you want 31.45%, also called 20 Baume, strength. Some stores sell lower strengths, which will work but you need proportionally more.
    Come to Arizona, they sell Muriatic Acid in the grocery stores here.
    15,000 gal Freeform Salt Water (SWG), Pebble Sheen with in floor cleaner. Hayward 1.5hp pump and 425sq ft Hayward Cartridge filter. 35sq ft Waterfall with separate 1.5hp Hayward Pump.

10. Back To Top    #10

what y'all use so much of it for in Arazona?
    I put some in & looks like it is bumping the ph down some already. how long before I can take a dip after putting that stuff in It is boxed & labeled just about like Battery Acid
    Looks dangerious. when I used Baquil there was an acid that went in but they called it sanitizer.Same stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by LBTRS
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Come to Arizona, they sell Muriatic Acid in the grocery stores here.

11. Back To Top    #11

No, not the same as the Baquacil product.

You should wait 30 minutes, with the pump running, after adding acid before swimming.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by THETOOLMAN
    what y'all use so much of it for in Arazona?
    I put some in & looks like it is bumping the ph down some already. how long before I can take a dip after putting that stuff in It is boxed & labeled just about like Battery Acid
    Looks dangerious. when I used Baquil there was an acid that went in but they called it sanitizer.Same stuff?
    It doed require some respect when using it but is is really no more dangerous than many other household chemicals.
    Baqaucil used biguinide (PHMB) as the sanitizer and hydrogen peroxide as the oxidizer. Lowering pH in a biguanide pool is done with either muriatic acid or dry acid so it's exactly the same!

Many things we put in pools are acids (such as chlorine stabilzer, dichlor, trichlor, ascorbic acid) but for pH adjustment we need what is known chemically as a 'strong acid' (one that dissociates completely) and the most common ones used in pools are muriatic (hydrochloric acid), sulfuric acid, and sodium bisulfate (dry acid) which forms sulfuric acid when dissolved in water.
    IMHO, muriatic has the fewest side effects on water balance since it does not add sulfates to the water.