Pool Math and FC?

i prefer a Heineken beer fridge myself :)

My partners lotto dream

CzK2uRE.jpg

LOL you guys! :rolleyes: (says the wife that has one of the shelves set high enough the Hein keg will fit in the fridge)

CYA test oh how I hate thee------when you do the test do it the same way every time. If you stand here with sun there do it that way every time. Only GLANCE in the tube. If you stare you WILL see the dot. I pour from line to line. Once the dot cannot be seen at a GLANCE I call it good. Remember you can pour back and forth as many times as you want with this test.

Kim:kim:

^yeh, way too neat, I use the 'stuff em in' method as its not about how there put in but how they come out. We just got back from the city of Guiness, I loved that place.

Doing the dissapearing dot test in the afternoon after a nice cold beer certainly couldn't hurt. Still being a bit new to it a bottle of 50ppm standard solution goes a long way. And comparing the results to previous results gives me a bit of confidence too.

Doing the dissapearing dot test in the afternoon after a nice cold beer certainly couldn't hurt. Still being a bit new to it a bottle of 50ppm standard solution goes a long way. And comparing the results to previous results gives me a bit of confidence too.

I have a bottle of the 50ppm standard solution on the way but... I thought there was discussion in previous threads that even the validity of the 50ppm solution was under question. Seems I remember folks saying that it was reading more along the lines of 40ppm. And some discussion of simply recalibrating or relabeling the vial so that 40ppm replaced the current 50ppm level?? No?

Amazing how we can put a man on the moon and find the Titanic but can't come up with an accurate CYA test...

Amazing how we can put a man on the moon and find the Titanic but can't come up with an accurate CYA test...

There are accurate CYA tests out there (0-80ppm in 1ppm increments). Hanna makes a handheld optical tester that's a modified absorption nephlometer (turbidity meter with a single wavelength photometer). Problem is the unit costs about $250 and, when you add up all the reagents and testing calibration solutions you need for it, you get close to $500.

I'd rather spend my money on beer...

Go it. So..to raise my CYA... I test and then drink beer. When eyesight gets blurry redo test. Black dot should be harder to see. If CYA isn't as high as I think it should be then I drink more beer. Repeat test. Still low? Repeat beer drinking until CYA reads within limits or I fall in the pool. Whichever comes first.

My pool testing always involves at least one cold adult beverage...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Back to subject. The key is to stay above the minimum. For a non swg pool, the bleach is usually added once pretty day and thus must target a higher level so it does not drop below the minimum by the next day. For a SWG pool, the FC is added slowly over more time, so the FC should be more consistent. As such, you can likely try to set the SWG so the FC is a few ppm above the minimum when you test. Try to determine when your FC is lowest, likely right before your pump and SWG turn on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.