Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: keeping 'gunk' on cover out of pool

1. Back To Top    #1

keeping 'gunk' on cover out of pool

Anyone have any tips on how to keep the dirt that accumulates on liner out of pool as you drag off the solar cover???
    22,500 gal A.G., vinyl, sta rite crystal sand filter- Pentair Water Pool & Spa , Hayward Super Pump Self Priming 10" lift, BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: keeping 'gunk' on cover out of pool

I read this one on Poolforum several years ago. I don't remember who posted it though. If the cover is dirty, use a garden hose to sweep the dirt into the skimmer before removing the solar cover. You'll get most of it fairly easily.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

IF???

Yep, hosing the cover off works pretty well. Skimmer sock probably a good idea too, for this operation, even if you don't use one normally.

"If"... man, the only time my cover has NOT been dirty was the day I unpacked it! "If" it's dirty... my goodness, what a chuckle.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

Looking at all the whirlygigs on my cover, I was considering trying to use the leaf blower. I like the garden hose thing too though, will try it.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

5. Back To Top    #5

Most of the debris we get falls in just as we're rolling in the last of the cover. I've tried picking up the last five feet or so and doubling over as you take it out. Then use the hose to wash that down. We've had marginal success with that, and you need some extra space. The best for us is to accept the inevitable and stand by with the net and scoop up as much as possible. To keep all the debris at the one end of the pool for a bit, turning off the pump seems to help.
    Andrew
    25,000 gal IG Vinyl - PoolPilot SC48 SWG - Sta-Rite 1HP/System3 CF - AquaCal HeatPump - TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, I agree with the 'if' statement! I will try the suggestions to see if they help. Just seems like you also need to have a jug of bleach right there to dump in right along with all the run off! Thanks!
    22,500 gal A.G., vinyl, sta rite crystal sand filter- Pentair Water Pool & Spa , Hayward Super Pump Self Priming 10" lift, BBB method