Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rebar formula

1. Back To Top    #1

Rebar formula

Does anyone know the formula they use to determine rebar for pool construction??

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rebar formula

That is an engineering question and is in part determined by your state building code. Some locations in Texas are now requiring a structural signoff on your pool.

The best site for pool engineering is Pool Engineering in Anaheim CA: Pool Engineering, Inc., Structural Design of Swimming Pools and Residential Improvement Structures

Check out their site they might answer the question there or you could email them and see what they will tell you.

Its not a simple answer and is determined by the size and depth of the pool as well as features and surroundings. Soil type is also important.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes I'm aware that it's an engineering question but I am doing an owner build in the country on Texas and don't need any permits. I'm trying to figure out how rebar gets bid. I know the Gunite formula and just want to know if anyone knows the rebar formula??

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ebrooks11 View Post
    Yes I'm aware that it's an engineering question but I am doing an owner build in the country on Texas and don't need any permits. I'm trying to figure out how rebar gets bid. I know the Gunite formula and just want to know if anyone knows the rebar formula??
    So you mean formula as to cost, not as to specs... you were not specific in the first question...

But my guess is that it is simply the cost of the rebar plus the time it takes to put it in... I had quotes from 1100 to 1800 ... for the same work... the guy that did mine for instance was $1100.. and then added two benches for nothing extra... So if you use the engineering calcs and determine how much rebar you need, then you can probably figure out the balance.. the guys work fast.. and usually only takes them a few hours.
    Cement Pond <--- build - 15K gal, 16 x 34 Rectangle, All Pentair - 520 Filter, 2 Intelliflo 2VST pumps (3hp) - 1 filter/1 water features, EasyTouch 8, Screen Logic, IC60 SWG,
    Pop-up Cleaners (Wet Deck and steps), 2 LED Bubblers, 3 LED 24" waterfalls, 5G LED Pool Light, Quartscapes Reflections Tahoe Blue plaster, Real Coral coping/deck, TF-100 Test Kit, 1766 Salt test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes as to cost. I have a bid and want to figure out if it is bid per linear foot, or square foot or volume??

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Most contractors have a price worked out per perimeter foot. That includes almost all of the trades.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by ebrooks11 View Post
    Yes as to cost. I have a bid and want to figure out if it is bid per linear foot, or square foot or volume??
    I'm curious as to why?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by PoolguyinCT View Post
    I'm curious as to why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sent off my first plan to get bid and I was given a quote on the rebar. Since then I have had to change the pool dimensions and was trying to figure out how they bid the original plans so I could get a rough idea on my new plans without having to send them off again for a new bid.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Who really knows how they bid it other than the person that prepared the bid? There is no standard. Rebar is typically the least expensive of the trades anyway.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page