Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding borates.... 58lbs?!

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding borates.... 58lbs?!

My pool keeps requiring acid, so I'd like to add borates to buffer the pH. However, pool math says I need 58lbs or borax to go from 0ppm to 50ppm in a 16,000 gallon pool. Is that right?!

Regarding the rest of the process, I want to lower TA to 60 and then add the borax and required muriatic acid to compensate for the pH rise from the borax?

Thanks
    16,000 gallons in-ground, raised spa with spill-way, PebbleTec finish. Cartridge Filter M/N CV460, Main Pump; Jandy VSSHP270AUT variable speed ePump, Polaris PB4-60 cleaner pump, Jandy PLC1400 SWG

I still prefer our boat over the pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding borates.... 58lbs?!

Yes. And 3.5 gallons of muriatic acid.

Or use 38 pounds of boric acid which you can get from duda diesel or other places and not need the muriatic acid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

IMO, boric acid is the only way to go. No handling of acid! Just add to the pool and enjoy the benefits.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the tip on duda; never would have found them on my own!

Out of curiosity, if my TA is 70, what would happen if I added the boric acid without first lowering the TA to 60?

5. Back To Top    #5

I do not think anything special would happen. It will just be a little more difficult to lower the TA more if you want/need to.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Do I just dump the dry boric acid in, or do I need to dose it via socks or something?

Is it best to add 1/2 of what pool math says and sneak up on it? Or just put the 38lbs in and call it a day?

Thanks!
    16,000 gallons in-ground, raised spa with spill-way, PebbleTec finish. Cartridge Filter M/N CV460, Main Pump; Jandy VSSHP270AUT variable speed ePump, Polaris PB4-60 cleaner pump, Jandy PLC1400 SWG

I still prefer our boat over the pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Add it directly to the pool. You can do it in two batches and brush in between. It will dissolve very rapidly. Let your polaris cleaner roll around too to help mix it up. Keep the pumps running for 24 hours and you'll be all good. As long as 38lbs is what Pool Math tells you is right, you can go ahead and add all of it. Even if you overshoot your borates past 50ppm, it's fine. Some folks target 60ppm because they know they will have a lot of splash out or water loss during the season.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

Does my pH need to be spot on before I add the boric acid?

As the boric acid acts as a pH buffer, will future pH adjustments (reduction) require more muriatic acid, and the resultant pH will "last" longer? Or will it require the same amount (or less) of muriatic acid and the result will "last" longer?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    Does my pH need to be spot on before I add the boric acid?

As the boric acid acts as a pH buffer, will future pH adjustments (reduction) require more muriatic acid, and the resultant pH will "last" longer? Or will it require the same amount (or less) of muriatic acid and the result will "last" longer?
    The boric acid will lower your pH by ~0.2-0.3 units. So just get it close.

To make pH adjustments after borates are added will require more acid (about twice as much) BUT you should be adding it less frequently so the total amount of acid you use really shouldn't change much.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates