Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: particles visible at night when pool lights are on

1. Back To Top    #1

particles visible at night when pool lights are on

during the day the pool seems clear, but when I turn on the light at night I see particles in the beam. Is that normal?
    Inground 28000 gal Concrete, Hayward Progrid DE filter 6020, US motors 1.5hp pump (3450rpm) , Polaris 360
    300 gal hot tub, Spa Vita, Bromine

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: particles visible at night when pool lights are on

Yep. The technical term for them is floaties. They are the reason some people will only have a DE filter. But if I keep my cartridge filtered pool running longer than necessary I can reduce the floaties to a bare minimum.

Completely normal. Judge your pool clarity during the day to keep you sane.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Groundbreaking: 2/14/13 | Plaster: 5/21/2013 | First Swim: 5/30/2013

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup. What bmoreswim said is right.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

If you had a sand filter I would say add some DE to it. I did that and it gave me clear water at night with the light on. I don't know what type of harmsco filter housing you are using but the water better series of filters go down to 0.5 micron. I would imagine if you went to a 10 micron filter, I'm assuming you are using a 20 or 30 micron filter, you would get rid of your floaties. BUT you would have to clean your filters way more often.
    15x30 AG Ovation Fantasy pool all Aluminum frame, 13,000 gal Vinyl Liner
    Pentair Super flo VS, Crystal Flo II 19" sand filter
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump
    TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Mine got the clearest when I installed the Kreepy and let it run every day while the pump was running. Prior to that, even with brushing, I never could quite get all of the fine dirt that blows around here cleaned up off the bottom, so there was always a decent amount of it suspended in the water. Having the bottom get vacuumed through the filter for a few hours every day has really made a huge difference in what I see when I brush - I used to see a little puffy cloud of dirt, now I don't see anything except when I brush the steps.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    PentAir WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, PentAir CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, PentAir SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

6. Back To Top    #6

Agreed with the others, although depending on how much debris and dust blows into your pool, you may never be able to eliminate it even if you ran the pump continuously.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    If you had a sand filter I would say add some DE to it. I did that and it gave me clear water at night with the light on. I don't know what type of harmsco filter housing you are using but the water better series of filters go down to 0.5 micron. I would imagine if you went to a 10 micron filter, I'm assuming you are using a 20 or 30 micron filter, you would get rid of your floaties. BUT you would have to clean your filters way more often.
    This is what I am using- doesn't say how many microns?

http://poolsupplying.com/pool_suppli...hp?item_id=274
    Inground 28000 gal Concrete, Hayward Progrid DE filter 6020, US motors 1.5hp pump (3450rpm) , Polaris 360

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    see response from Harmsco customer service:
    "The human eye cannot see anything below 40 micron, so I am not sure why the 20 micron isn’t catching your “floaties”. However, the ST/6 is a swimming pool cartridge and as such is only available in 20 micron, but you can purchase the equivalent size in the Harmsco industrial cartridge, part number 801-10, which is 10 micron."

they are saying if particle is visible, it would be larger than 40, so a finer filter would not help....

9. Back To Top    #9

Not sure about that ... you are seeing the light reflect off the particle which could make it appear larger I think.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Even after deep cleaning my sand filter I still had a ton of floaties visible by the light at night. I changed the sand and I see very few now. My pump run times are the same as before.
    30k(ish) gallon, IG, vinyl liner, Pentair Triton II sand filter, 1.5hp Pentair VS pump, Sta-Rite (Pentair) 400K BTU heater (LP), (2) Pentair LED spa lights, TF-100 test kit w/speed stir

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Not sure about that ... you are seeing the light reflect off the particle which could make it appear larger I think.
    +1
    Also, what you see are most likely groups or clumps of particles, and the water could be magnifying it a bit.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm with bizzle on this light reflection off other particles will make things you can't see under daylight conditions standout. Water and light do funny optical things under such high contrasting light conditions. While the folks at harsmco aren't wrong they also didn't mention that their pool filter isnt rated as an absolute filter. There are a certain percentage of partices that will make it past your pool filter. That's why going to a finer filter will catch more of the stuff you can see. I would hate to see what their industrial filter costs. It would probably be cheaper to just invest in a DE filter.
    15x30 AG Ovation Fantasy pool all Aluminum frame, 13,000 gal Vinyl Liner
    Pentair Super flo VS, Crystal Flo II 19" sand filter
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump
    TF-100 test kit