New to the forum, new to pools

Josh,

Welcome to TFP.. you will love it here... :lovetfp:

I'll get us started, but I'm sure others will follow soon.

I can't see your valves very clearly in your pics, but generally, there are three basic configurations that your Pool and Spa can be in:

1. Pool mode.. this is where the valves are set so that the pump sucks water from your skimmer and/or main drain into the pump, through the filter and heater and then via another valve back into the pool.

2. Spa mode.. this is where the valves are set so that the pump sucks water from your Spa's drain into the pump, through the filter and heater and then via another valve back into the Spa.

3. Spillover mode.. this is where the valves are set so that the pump sucks water from your skimmer and/or main drain into the pump, through the filter and heater and then via another valve back into the Spa. In this mode, you put water in the Spa which has no where to go but to overflow into the pool.

I suggest you play with the valves so that you can duplicate the above conditions.

How do you plan on keeping your pool chlorinated?

I don't have a Spa or heater so I'll let others step in with some ideas on your heater issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You'll want to wean yourself from the tablets and go with liquid chlorine. They raise the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level, which plays with the effectiveness of your chlorine. See Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart for information about CYA. Once you get your test kit you can figure out what your CYA is and subsequently what level FC you'll need.

It will be a bit of hand waving to calculate volume of your pool, but here goes. Enter average length by average width by average depth in the volume calculation section of http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html.

As for the saltiness, you may have a SWG system although I don't see any evidence in your photos.

Josh,

Your pool may have had a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) at one time. Around here a number of pool maintenance companies "lease" a SWCG to the homeowner as part of their maintenance package. When the homeowner, sells or moves out, the SWCG is replaced with a pipe.

Personally, I love salt water pools. They are very easy to take care of because they generate a constant supply of chlorine. A little more cost up-front, but none of the chore of manually adding chlorine to your pool on a daily basis.

Jim R.

Josh,

If you take a couple more pics of your equipment pad from a different angle, we might be able to tell you more. Your whole set up is a little odd. I've never see anyone run unfiltered water through the heater first. Below is a diagram of how your pool is most likely set up, except for the location of the heater. See if the "standard" configuration diagram below is of any help.... See of you can identify the "Intake" valve and "Return" valve in your set-up..

img013.jpg

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support