Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pump leaking from top

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump leaking from top

I noticed tonight my pump is leaking from the top area:

Is this fixable? I cant tell if the water is coming from the threads, it doesn't looked cracked.
    Chris B.

New house w/ 28 y/o I.G. 15k gal. pool/spa, Plaster, Hayward DE-480S Micro Clear Filter, Pentair Whisperflo wfe-4, 1HP (Main Pump), Hayward SP2815x20 (Pump for spa jets), Versa Pool Heater, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, TF-100 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump leaking from top

Is there a union above that pipe? You can unscrew that nipple from the pump and put Teflon tape and/or pipe dope and reinstall it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

No, there isn't:

I dont know why, but when I checked it tonight the lid was a little loose and my basket is a little discolored, so it seems it ran hot last night or today (pump runs from 12pm-3pm & 12am-5am)

Is this the type of repair I'm looking at:

Repairing A Pump Discharge Leak Updated Revised Version - YouTube
    Chris B.

New house w/ 28 y/o I.G. 15k gal. pool/spa, Plaster, Hayward DE-480S Micro Clear Filter, Pentair Whisperflo wfe-4, 1HP (Main Pump), Hayward SP2815x20 (Pump for spa jets), Versa Pool Heater, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, TF-100 Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Exactly as shown in the video. Ensure schedule 80, gray pipe, is used at discharge fitting. Buy a 12" double threaded nipped and cut as described in video. You"ll have a second nipple to use for a later repair.😁

10,000 gallons IG Freeform, 8ft raised spa,pebble finish
    FNS 60 Sqft DE Filter,2HP Whisperflow for Pool/Spa filtering
    2HP Whisperflow for Spa jets
    1HP Whisperflow for Waterfall
    Master Temp 400,000 Btu Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Can I get all of these pieces at home depot or pool store?
    Chris B.

6. Back To Top    #6

Possibly, I usually get mine at the local nursery supply. Looks like 2" threads from the outlet of your pump. If you follow the video you should be fine.

7. Back To Top    #7

Nursery supply? I would have never thought of that.

I just called a local pool supply store and he's recommending schedule 40, is that the norm?
    Chris B.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, sch 40 is fine.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, should I put a union at the pump or just threaded PVC?
    Chris B.

10. Back To Top    #10

I would put a union in for future servicing convenience.

Blows my mind when installers don't put pumps and filters on unions.
    waste of time & resources when you have to cut & replace pipe.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

11. Back To Top    #11

Got it!!

I'm just curious, is the union a schedule 40 or 80? After the union, what should I use? Just regular sch 40 PVC?

Is this what I'm looking for:

Union, 11201-0154 (WhisperFlo Pump - SOLD INDIVIDUALLY) - INYOPools.com
    Chris B.

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, that will work fine.
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Is there an o-ring in there?
    Chris B.

14. Back To Top    #14

No, not between the nipple and the pump.
    TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok if you want to use a union, use a hi temp union. The Grey pipe used in video is schedule 80 PVC not schedule 40. Very important to use schedule 80 for pump inlet and outlet to avoid leaks.

Amazon.com: 2 PACK -CMP Hi-Temp Union 2 Garden

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by crudsrus View Post
    Ok if you want to use a union, use a hi temp union. The Grey pipe used in video is schedule 80 PVC not schedule 40. Very important to use schedule 80 for pump inlet and outlet to avoid leaks.

Amazon.com: 2 PACK -CMP Hi-Temp Union 2 Garden

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

Nice!!! I just picked up that same exact union.

Is this cement good? Do I need primer?

Or should I have went with the red:

Christys 8 fl. oz. PVC Pipe Cement-RH-RHBV-HP - The Home Depot
    Chris B.

17. Back To Top    #17

Any differences in the cement?
    Chris B.

18. Back To Top    #18

The wet or dry is fine. I wouldn't glue anything without using cleaner though.

19. Back To Top    #19

Cleaner? Never heard of that. None of the videos I watched never mentioned it.

I just finished measuring and cutting everything, should I put lube on the o-ring for the union?
    Chris B.

20. Back To Top    #20

The blue wet/dry cement is good. Need a primer, like purple, to clean the pvc first. Yes, lube the o-ring with plumber's silicone lube/grease.
    TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast